best portable line out for an amp?
Dec 22, 2006 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

taran

100+ Head-Fier
well for a few years ive had an iaudio m3 and have always thought nothing was wrong with the line out as when i hook it up to my home theatre system, the sound is pretty good.

last year i baught myself shure e4's and felt that the headphone out was sufficient enough to play them well.

few months ago i baught sennheiser hd595's and felt its time to see what an amp could do with the headphones i had along wid sony mdr e888's.

anyway after looking, i really didnt think the big boys such as xin, ray samuals etc were right for me as i didnt know nothing and didnt want to spend so much without knowledge.

i then found a resonably priced amp which is easily available in the uk, from ebay called the penguine amp. i baught the deluxe version with 3 switches.

when i first plugged it into the line out of the m3, i was like yeeh this is good, but that was probably because i had a new toy and probably was playing it fairly loudly.

anyway, i started to notice that some songs sounded like some sound was missing, in the lows. i then found out this is because the cowon range of players has a weak line out, or not a proper line out. this is probably what i have been experiencing.

anyway, ive tried my brother new sony noise cancelling mp3 player's dock line out and my hd595's have improved.

so the question is, what portable player i.e dap has the best line out?

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by taran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well for a few years ive had an iaudio m3 and have always thought nothing was wrong with the line out as when i hook it up to my home theatre system, the sound is pretty good.

last year i baught myself shure e4's and felt that the headphone out was sufficient enough to play them well.

few months ago i baught sennheiser hd595's and felt its time to see what an amp could do with the headphones i had along wid sony mdr e888's.

anyway after looking, i really didnt think the big boys such as xin, ray samuals etc were right for me as i didnt know nothing and didnt want to spend so much without knowledge.

i then found a resonably priced amp which is easily available in the uk, from ebay called the penguine amp. i baught the deluxe version with 3 switches.

when i first plugged it into the line out of the m3, i was like yeeh this is good, but that was probably because i had a new toy and probably was playing it fairly loudly.

anyway, i started to notice that some songs sounded like some sound was missing, in the lows. i then found out this is because the cowon range of players has a weak line out, or not a proper line out. this is probably what i have been experiencing.

anyway, ive tried my brother new sony noise cancelling mp3 player's dock line out and my hd595's have improved.

so the question is, what portable player i.e dap has the best line out?

From what I understand, the only two DAP's that have a convenient line out are the iPod and Creative Vision: M. Both have dock to mini cables being sold, with the iPod with a (understandably) wider selection than the Creative Vision: M (with one from I understand from Qables).

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. If you can find a Sony HD5 (no color screen, horrible sync software, tactile buttons), it also has a lineout using the standard headphone hack with a press of a button in the menu options.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back