Best portable IEM with noise isolation ~ $150 budget
Dec 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gorgatron

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for the best possible earbuds for my dad. My dad travels frequently for his work. He says his noise canceling headphones (some sennheiser one, i dont remember the model #) barely work and he has a hard time hearing them. I figure noise isolation would be better for him.

My qualifications for earbuds-
1: Decent amount of bass
2: At least 20 db of noise isolation or greater
3: ipod control (VOL UP/DOWN) and that possibly has a built in microphone with it.

A good example: I was thinking of getting my Dad the Shure SE215K with the ipod cable or the Etymotic hf3 but I'm not too sure if there are better options. The hf3 is $60~ at my local best buy. I believe they claim to block up to 37-42 DB of outside noise.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:

Shure SE215 is a pretty good choice I think.

The best noice-cancelling I've heard is Audio Technica ANC23.

Have you heard the SE215?

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 7

No I haven't sorry, I'm only going buy the fact that it looks like the other models and the price is low, so you get pretty good build quality and design for the price.

Etymotic is a bit overrated, you only achieve that high level of isolation with a deep insertion, which is uncomfortable and akin to a q-tip.

On the other hand, noise-cancelling is also highly overrated, it's a marketing tactic, the majority of IEM's will offer plenty of isolation and the effect of NC can feel uncomfortable.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

No I haven't sorry, I'm only going buy the fact that it looks like the other models and the price is low, so you get pretty good build quality and design for the price.

Etymotic is a bit overrated, you only achieve that high level of isolation with a deep insertion, which is uncomfortable and akin to a q-tip.

On the other hand, noise-cancelling is also highly overrated, it's a marketing tactic, the majority of IEM's will offer plenty of isolation and the effect of NC can feel uncomfortable.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back