Best portable high-end headphones for jazz!
Nov 29, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #17 of 26
Denon Dx000s are hard to drive, they wouldn't perform optimally without an amp. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #18 of 26
I prefer ESW9 over B&W P5 by wide margin actually

P5 has really good mid, especially with vocal, but they really lack of extension both for high and low, and soundstage image seems congested. ESW9 also has that delicate and sweet midrange, while still maintain treble and bass better than P5.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #19 of 26
It boils down to "different" sound signatures rather than X is better than Y, simply individual preference.

Solid portable performers include:

P5,
ESW9,
DT1350

OP you have to try them for yourself, or if that isn't possible simply take a risk on one.  People will give you their opinion all day long, but it won't help you determine which headphone sound signature will best suit you.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
Can the d5000 be used without portable amp?
And if so, can they play loud enough?
Thanks again!

I can run them out of my Sansa Fuze with no amp and they sound great. They're low impedance, and sensitive. They do not require an amplifier. Denon builds around this concept. Now, do they benefit from an amp? Yes. But it's not needed for when you're just walking around and going portable. At home? Sure, put them on a little amp of some kind or just a receiver even. But you do not need an amp to enjoy them while on the go.

Quote:
Denon Dx000s are hard to drive, they wouldn't perform optimally without an amp. 

"Hard to drive." Wow. No sir. Wonderfully false information there.

Very best,

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #21 of 26
Sound quality aside, I don’t see how the D5000 are portable friendly cans. aside from their size and the loose fit on the head, the cable is long and kind of unwieldly. seems like a bad fit for actual portable use. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #22 of 26
My DT1350 does very well with Jazz...

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 26
Thanks a lot for all the help!
After reseach I have decided to go for the D5000 or the D2000. I depends on the sound quality difference.
Is it hearable when listening from the Iphone?

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
I can run them out of my Sansa Fuze with no amp and they sound great. They're low impedance, and sensitive. They do not require an amplifier. Denon builds around this concept. Now, do they benefit from an amp? Yes. But it's not needed for when you're just walking around and going portable. At home? Sure, put them on a little amp of some kind or just a receiver even. But you do not need an amp to enjoy them while on the go.

"Hard to drive." Wow. No sir. Wonderfully false information there.

Very best,

Really? Thats GREAT news! Must be HMV's horrible setup because the D2000s sounded woefully bad out of my iPod. Maybe I'll finally get round to picking up a pair!

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
Really? Thats GREAT news! Must be HMV's horrible setup because the D2000s sounded woefully bad out of my iPod. Maybe I'll finally get round to picking up a pair!

I just plugged it into my Sansa Fuze (the Denon D5000) and the sub bass slam on some EDM (Robyn) is great sounding. It's not muddy, it's not weak. Everything else sounded wonderful too.

My portable amp is a Vivid V1 Tech, and I really don't use it. I just go straight off the Fuze. I just didn't hear enough of a difference, if any, to warrant one more device in my pocket.

But hey, that's just what I'm hearing with my ears.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back