Best portable headphones/IEM's that will suit my needs?
Jun 26, 2011 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

IMcharger

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I apologize if my lack of audio vocabulary urks you guys but i'm sort of new to this whole headphone thing. So I'm looking for a pair of either nice portable headphones or IEM's that will suit my needs. First of all my source would be an iPod Touch or Classic. I need a durable phone that will hold up being tossed around (not thrown against walls, but can survive being tossed into a gym bag while i'm playing my football games etc.) They mostly will be used in bus rides or while walking around outside. I listen to a lot of rock, hard rock, and metal. I also have started to listen to electronic music such as House, Trance, Techno, a little dubstep etc. I am looking for an awesome hard rock/metal phone that has great bass, yet it doesn't drown out the rest of the music. I don't exactly know how to describe it but i'd love to have a pair where the cymbals ring out long and clean. Noise isolation would be fantastic, but it isn't a must. To be honest, I really just want enough noise isolation so I don't have to turn my music up to dangerously high volumes to drown out the noise around me. I am open to both earphones and headphones and it would be great to throw as many suggestions out there as you guys could. I DO take aesthetics into consideration, but looks will never make or break a decision. My price range would be up to about $120, but i'd definitely be open to spending up to $200 on a great pair of headphones, but try to keep most suggestions inn the initial price range.

Now, before I was looking at Sennheiser 598's and AKG K701's to buy, but I realized that even though these headphones look great and are absolutly phenomenal headphones, they really are not practical for use with a mobile device. This would be a true assumption, correct? Are there any other AKG headphones that would be great for mobile use? I LOVE the old school look. Also, I was looking at the Dunu earphones. They seemed pretty nice, but the lack of both written and video reviews plus the fact that they can only be bought through ebay in North America made me question both the legitimacy and or quality of the product. Any opinions on these phones?

In the end i'm looking for great headphones/earphones that will work with my constantly go-go-going lifestyle that are great for hard rock and metal music. My price range is up to 120, with the openness to spend up to 200 on a very good pair of phones. Please help me out here guys! Give me as many suggestions as you can!

Thanks Guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back