Best portable headphone? What do you think?
Mar 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Julsey

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know you get these sort of questions a lot but I have searched everywhere but I couldn't find a solution, please help. I'm looking to buy my first pair of headphones to be mostly used for commuting to and from school and at home. I'm also a aspiring trance and house producer.

I'm looking for a smaller pair of headphones that are as small as the klipsch image one, b and w p5 and bose ae2i but with sound like an m-50 (I want to buy some m-50 but they're too big for commuting). Put simply: I want a headphone that is small, sounds great and is under $250. Does this exist? It seems that all the good looking headphones that sound good are only found in shops that are made of glass and have a shiny apple logo in them.  Please help me out.

Thanks, Julian

EDIT: I listen to mostly EDM and indie rock if that helps you guys.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 8
dont get the T50P they are the predeccessor to the DT1350. They may suit your needs, but the DT1350 has better balance, and is aparantly built better than the T50P. They also cost around the same price i think. The DT1350s are very detailed and some would say analytical, may not be what you're looking for, which is why I didnt reccomend it in the first place. The HD-25 ii  has a slightly "fun" sound.  The ESW9s offer a warmer sound, and may be closer to what you are looking for. another headphone you can look at is the AHD 1100 from denon.

I have no experience with the B&W so I wont comment on those....:)

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 8
The DT1350 is around $300 though, which is out of the OP's price range. But from owning one previously it's the best portable headphone that I've ever had, that is if you're into a more balanced sound - you definitely won't get M50 levels of sub-bass from it.

Like the poster above mentioned, the Denon D1100 (around $170ish) is also a good choice, great bass impact and slam for trance and house.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 8
oh yes... forgot the dt1350s are kinda expensive. you do get copious amounts of sub bass from it though.. more than the hd-25ii at 20hz... this is from my testing with a tone generator. i find that the hd-25ii have a slightly brighter overall sound with more midbass compared to the dt1350. we're splitting hairs here though... both are extremely good 'phones.

definitely look into the ahd1100. those are some of my favorite phones in the price range. look up the fostex TH5B also. slightly cheaper, but sound amazing.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 8
I like the V-Moda M-80/V-80. Lightweight, durable, excellent sound quality, and have decent sound isolation. They also sound fairly neutral which would be excellent for studio monitoring and producing. If I had to compare the sound with other headphones they sound similar to the Sennheiser HD-25-ii and the Beradynamic DT1350 but they have a lower price tag and are much more stylish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back