best portable headphone other then ksc35 ?
Feb 16, 2004 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
How would you upgrade for really-portable use ,from ksc35 ?
I'm coming from coupled with portacorda2-panasonic ct470 and I like ksc35 overall more then bigger hi fi cans , for portability and overall good sound

i tried px100 but found them a bit steryle and sound was compressed compared to ksc 35 .

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 17
koss porta-pro

Biggie.

Feb 16, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 17
I think they'd sound too similar and close in sound quality for it to really be an upgrade, I even think the KSC35 sound better. What areas do you mainly want to improve with the KSC35? BTW I think this is actually a headphone query better done in the headphone forum, but a mod will probably see it soon to make the move.

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
I think they'd sound too similar and close in sound quality for it to really be an upgrade, I even think the KSC35 sound better. What areas do you mainly want to improve with the KSC35? BTW I think this is actually a headphone query better done in the headphone forum, but a mod will probably see it soon to make the move.

I hope moderators will let this thread go on on this board , 'cos i think on this board i can receive the best post on the thread .

Main area I'd like to improve are soundstage and airness
By the way i tried other phones like senns / akg and i prefer the nice portability and the open design of this ksc35 .
But I think these cans make different kind of music sound very similar to each other , beacause the midbass tend to take the lead and "absorb" the rest of the tones , and many instrument / voice tend to report to this particular rapresentation of the whole range of frq.
It's like every music / song / instruement has got too much the same warm-brown color .

Feb 17, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 17
I had the chance to listen to the HS-900 and really enjoyed them. Deeper bass than the KSC-35s, but less punch and prevelance. Very balanced sound with nice full mids and extended highs. Also, a larger soundstage. Both are winners in my book at the same pricepoint of $30. Listened to both through a SlimX iMP-350 with my portable mint tin amp.

Feb 17, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 17
so far, ive only been fully satisfied with the D66 Eggos..they really bring ALOT more resolution to the table w/ the added bonus of isolation

their bass impact is not as satisfying as the koss, however

i remember liking px200 a LOT when i first had them. they had KICING bass and really detailed highs... but then somehow the highs/treble got progressively muted... i would need another pair on my hands for a really fair assessment, though

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 17
Well, the Ety ER4P/S will blow away the KSC35, but then again with the price difference they should.

Feb 18, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 17
The bass on the ety's is deep and tight, but it isnt impressive or impactful because it is treated as any other frequency, so the sound is more laid back (not quite on the Senn level.)

Feb 18, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 17
the grado sr-125 are like ultra-refined kcs-35. i'd suggest using your amp with them, too. yes, they are portable as well. if you like bass these are the cans for you.

Feb 18, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #13 of 17
I've used my SR-60s for portable and it was pretty nice, a lot better than the KSC-35s imo. Just a much fuller midrange and smoother highs. I used both with my amp as well.

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
the grado sr-125 are like ultra-refined kcs-35. i'd suggest using your amp with them, too. yes, they are portable as well. if you like bass these are the cans for you.

I really don't think so ..
I found bass rollled-off very soon when i listened to the grado line...

I'm searching for a deep bass sounding cans ( impactful or not , i' d just want to have the low frq. reached , and i know sometimes cans fail to push the listening too deep in low frq. ... i think the problem is delivering a tonal balance while doing this )

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 17
I like the Sennheiser PX-100's. Nice detailed sound, and decent bass without being fatiguing. The gradual treble roll off you hear is the metail drivers breaking in. I like them better that way. The first pair I had was terribly bright and even after long use it was still a little peaky. The second pair started off better and now sounds very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back