Best Portable Flash Player?
Jul 19, 2005 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Osaire

Head-Fier
I don't know too much about these. The ones I hear of mostly are the Shuffle, Sony NW-E507, and the iAudio 5...

Anyone have opinions? I'd like to use it while exercizing and otherwise being active, so a flash player with a small size is ideal.

Any better players that I didn't mention?

Thanks, as always. Sorry for the thread title everyone hates.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 10
I LOVE my Sony NW-E507! Actually returned it thinking I needed more memory, but then went back and got another one because it was far superior to the NW-HD1. It's press-to-play instant playback is a great feature, and SQ is nice and bass-rich. Biggest beef is not being able to see the display in daylight, but I've gotten over it. Battery lasts FOREVER....it charges when you hook it up to the computer to delete/add stuff and that charge is sufficient to last 'til the next time you make changes. You never think about charging, in other words. Absolutely a 10!

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 10
I am a serial mp3 buyer. Have/had 'em all..(nearly..well not quite, but hey).
Just last Friday got the Sony E-507. Had intended to get a new 1gig flash player and was just going to get the iRiver, but picked up the Sony instead. Was luke warm about it the first day (didn't quite understand it), and then, WOW!
Am in love with the little bugger.
Cons: 1.sonic stage is evil.
2.display dissapears outside in light (I mean gone....nothing, just basically turns into an iPod shuffle).
3. $199 is a wee bit more expensive than other 1 giggers

Pros: Battery forever/great sound/great FM/great size/very cool almost Deco. looking in design/solid construction and I love the way the cap works to move from songs to playlists, it makes moving through folders a breeze. No need to look at the display (which is a good thing outside).

so, if you have the patience of Jobe, and can live with Sonic Stage (shame on you Sony) then there is nothing else on the market like this excellent little player.
Oh, and one last thing (a bit of a con) Sony backs it for 90 days only. I am going to go back to Circuit City and see if I can get an extended warranty.

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Osaire
About the Sony player...does it convert all audio formats into ATRAC3? That might be a concern for me if it does. I know the MD players do..

The new Sony players now support MP3 without having to do any converting.

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 10
I know two people who have a Flash iRiver - can't remember which model - they both love these, and I heard one earlier this week and was very impressed by it.

GVDV

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 10
I have an iRiver ifp790 and I love it to death. Battery life and SQ is surperb. I recommend the iRiver ifp7xx/8xx maybe even the ifp9xx if you can find it or the iAudio U2.

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 10
I already had (gave away) the Iriver ifp256 and had really liked it. However, where the sony is different are the controls. You hardly have to set it to "hold" as they are very flat to the body of the unit, plus the unit itself is much slimmer than the flash iRiver series. This does not make it anymore difficult to use. It has never activated in my pocket in the "no hold position", this makes it great to change volume and song (or playlist) very quickly. Was interested in getting the U2, but am leery of getting something over the net as it is a pita to return.
Both the iRiver and the iAudio were on my list of contenders.
Seems like you are still into the MD's though. If you can, try a flash player and see if it fits you.

take care.

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Has anyone tried the Rio Chiba and the Creative Labs Muvo TX. Right now I can get either the Chiba 256mb and upgrade it with a 1gb sd card, or I can get a 1gb Muvo for roughly the same price (~$125). Is there any reason to chose one over the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back