Best portable DAP (jeans pockets) to play alongside Shure SE846?
May 9, 2015 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lostinclarity

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my DAP, I have tried the ibasso dx90 but I am a bit turned off by the tiny screen that is very hard to be used functionally. I have looked for a while at the other players out there and I am still not sure what to do at this point. I was considering the Hifiman HM-901 which seems like fantastic sound quality but it  looks pretty big and thick and I am not sure it will work in most of my pockets.

One of the other contender I have in mind is the Sony ZX2. Balanced would be a big plus since I'm using Silver Dragon V1 cable with adapter system so I can get balanced termination for the new DAP.

Let me know what you guys think

May 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 2
Well, the Fiio X5 is about the same width and thickness as the DX90.  It's a little taller though.  I have both and I know what you mean about the touchscreen on the DX90.  The Fiio X3 is smaller than both of them, but none offer a balanced out.  The new Pono has that, but it has a triangular shape - don't know how that would effect your pocket.  Soundwise, I like the X5 a little better than the DX90.
I know nothing about the Pono, but there's thread here about it.  The Sony ZX2 is nice but I don't know how that fits your pocket either.  Check the dimensions at the Sony online store.
Good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back