Best portable DAP for under 200$?
Aug 2, 2017 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yosi231

Head-Fier
Hi, im using the lz a4 IEM's.
I need a portable preferably small dap, the more sq the better, no need for special features.
i want it to have a screen, and preferably good battery life.
I am considering the Shanling M1, it has a pretty low battery life (8-10 hours, which is ok i guess if i get a really good value/price on it).
Is there a Better alternative to the M1?

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 12
Shanling m2s or wait fiio x3 gen3

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 12
Shanling m2s or wait fiio x3 gen3
What about the m1? I got a 135$ offer for it.
Isn't it worth?
I mean i can pay a bit extra for the M2s,
But does it really worth it?
I dont wanna go beyond 200$, and i gonna need the unit in the next 1-2 months.
Because im sometimes in a place where you cant bring a phone.
But a dap is ok, im gonna use it heavily for like 7 months, and only light usage after that.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 12
What about the m1? I got a 135$ offer for it.
Isn't it worth?
I mean i can pay a bit extra for the M2s,
But does it really worth it?
I dont wanna go beyond 200$, and i gonna need the unit in the next 1-2 months.
Because im sometimes in a place where you cant bring a phone.
But a dap is ok, im gonna use it heavily for like 7 months, and only light usage after that.

Then m1 is more than enough

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Another question, the second review here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sh...d256-hifi-lossless-music-player.22354/reviews

Compares the xduuo x3 to the m2s, and says in some songs it was even better (i pref hip hip more, like he does, and says it mostly plays better on the x3).
Is it possible that a lower grade cheap, very suitable for my purpose has as high SQ as the m2s?
And is there a noticeable sq difference between the m2s & m1? Worth it?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 12
Another question, the second review here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sh...d256-hifi-lossless-music-player.22354/reviews

Compares the xduuo x3 to the m2s, and says in some songs it was even better (i pref hip hip more, like he does, and says it mostly plays better on the x3).
Is it possible that a lower grade cheap, very suitable for my purpose has as high SQ as the m2s?
And is there a noticeable sq difference between the m2s & m1? Worth it?

Firstly, I haven't seen/heard the Shanling M1, only their M2s, so I can't comment on the M1.
But I'll try my best to help you out.
The link you posted only goes to the general review page, not a specific review. So when you were talking about Hip Hop playing better on the X3, I'm not sure if you were referring to my review or someone else's? I actually didn't say Hip Hop was better on the X3, although in retrospect I'd probably say it does sound better on the X3.

Basically, for sound quality (and this is just my own opinion; others may hear differently), I think the xDuoo X3 is better than the Shanling M2s (and the Cayin N3, which has almost as good sound as the M2s and is a bit cheaper).
So if that's your primary factor in making a choice, then it's a pretty simple choice. For me, sound quality of the X3 is comparable to DAP's much more expensive.
If you're looking for a great screen, the Shanling M2s is a winner.
If you're looking for a staggering array of functionality, the Cayin N3 is a winner.

Not sure on your budget, but you've got (in ascending order of price): xDuoo X3, Shanling M1, Shanling M2s & Cayin N3, Aune M1s.
The last one has the best sound quality of all, and a fair amount of power, but is rather big and comes in at around $250 I think?
Based on everything you've said, I'd recommend the xDuoo X3. It's currently £68 in the UK on Amazon (that's around £90).
It's not got the bells and whistles of the others and just a simple screen, but it's simple and easy to use and sounds excellent.
After listening to that for 7 months, you might become addicted to good audio and want to treat yourself to something even better. It's a slippery slope :p

Apologies, I'm fried after a long day so this isn't the most coherent and organised feedback!
Hope it helps. Any further questions, please feel free to PM me :)

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 12
Firstly, I haven't seen/heard the Shanling M1, only their M2s, so I can't comment on the M1.
But I'll try my best to help you out.
The link you posted only goes to the general review page, not a specific review. So when you were talking about Hip Hop playing better on the X3, I'm not sure if you were referring to my review or someone else's? I actually didn't say Hip Hop was better on the X3, although in retrospect I'd probably say it does sound better on the X3.

Basically, for sound quality (and this is just my own opinion; others may hear differently), I think the xDuoo X3 is better than the Shanling M2s (and the Cayin N3, which has almost as good sound as the M2s and is a bit cheaper).
So if that's your primary factor in making a choice, then it's a pretty simple choice. For me, sound quality of the X3 is comparable to DAP's much more expensive.
If you're looking for a great screen, the Shanling M2s is a winner.
If you're looking for a staggering array of functionality, the Cayin N3 is a winner.

Not sure on your budget, but you've got (in ascending order of price): xDuoo X3, Shanling M1, Shanling M2s & Cayin N3, Aune M1s.
The last one has the best sound quality of all, and a fair amount of power, but is rather big and comes in at around $250 I think?
Based on everything you've said, I'd recommend the xDuoo X3. It's currently £68 in the UK on Amazon (that's around £90).
It's not got the bells and whistles of the others and just a simple screen, but it's simple and easy to use and sounds excellent.
After listening to that for 7 months, you might become addicted to good audio and want to treat yourself to something even better. It's a slippery slope :p

Apologies, I'm fried after a long day so this isn't the most coherent and organised feedback!
Hope it helps. Any further questions, please feel free to PM me :)

Thanks man you helped my make up my mind.
And yes i was referring to your review :)
Its not that that you specifically said that hiphop is better on the x3, but thats what i inferred.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks man you helped my make up my mind.
And yes i was referring to your review :)
Its not that that you specifically said that hiphop is better on the x3, but thats what i inferred.
You inferred correctly in this case lol.

So which did you choose in the end? :D

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 12
You inferred correctly in this case lol.

So which did you choose in the end? :D
I think im gonna go with the x3 if its in the same SQ league :)
Because the m2 costs twice as much,
And the m1 is said to be a bit infirior to the m2s in sound.
But ill wait to see what the other guy says.
Thanks for you help bro!

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 12
I think im gonna go with the x3 if its in the same SQ league :)
Because the m2 costs twice as much,
And the m1 is said to be a bit infirior to the m2s in sound.
But ill wait to see what the other guy says.
Thanks for you help bro!

In my (humble) opinion, the xDuoo X3 is not just in the same league; it's in a league of it's own.
I recently upgraded to the very good Shozy Alien+ DAP (around $430).
I then was fortunate enough to be able to work for iBasso on their CanJam store, and I got a DX200 (around $1000).
I'd been A/B testing those.
In between, I had to write a review for the Cayin N3, because before those new DAP's came into my life, I'd signed up to participate in the Cayin N3 review tour.
Now the N3 is a decent sounding DAP, with the best feature set I've ever seen at that kind of price point, and surpassing that of many DAP's costing 5 times the price.

However, I honestly struggled to write the review, because the DX200 and Alien+ were just in a completely different league to the Cayin N3 in terms of sound quality.
And it's not that the N3 is bad; it's actually rather good for the price!

But after all that, I needed to test a memory card or something and I had to use the xDuoo X3.
And I was astonished at how close the sound came to the DX200, bearing in mind it's one-tenth of the cost!
It's mainly because the other DAP's I've tested tend to have a more warm/organic sound.
Whereas the xDuoo X3 has a more transparent, reference sound. Detailed and clear. So it sounds more like an expensive DAP I guess.

Anyway, I certainly don't want to overhype it; it is still a £68 DAP at the end of the day, but sound-wise, you're getting a lot of bang for your buck :wink:

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #11 of 12
In my (humble) opinion, the xDuoo X3 is not just in the same league; it's in a league of it's own.
I recently upgraded to the very good Shozy Alien+ DAP (around $430).
I then was fortunate enough to be able to work for iBasso on their CanJam store, and I got a DX200 (around $1000).
I'd been A/B testing those.
In between, I had to write a review for the Cayin N3, because before those new DAP's came into my life, I'd signed up to participate in the Cayin N3 review tour.
Now the N3 is a decent sounding DAP, with the best feature set I've ever seen at that kind of price point, and surpassing that of many DAP's costing 5 times the price.

However, I honestly struggled to write the review, because the DX200 and Alien+ were just in a completely different league to the Cayin N3 in terms of sound quality.
And it's not that the N3 is bad; it's actually rather good for the price!

But after all that, I needed to test a memory card or something and I had to use the xDuoo X3.
And I was astonished at how close the sound came to the DX200, bearing in mind it's one-tenth of the cost!
It's mainly because the other DAP's I've tested tend to have a more warm/organic sound.
Whereas the xDuoo X3 has a more transparent, reference sound. Detailed and clear. So it sounds more like an expensive DAP I guess.

Anyway, I certainly don't want to overhype it; it is still a £68 DAP at the end of the day, but sound-wise, you're getting a lot of bang for your buck :wink:
Thanks man!! very happy to hear that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back