Best portable DAP for the gym (2016)
Jun 16, 2016 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

magogo

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I need to buy a portable DAP for my girlfriend since her little ipod nano is gone for good. I need your help to find the right one for her!

Ideally it would have a clip or a case with a clip (she really loves that feature on the nano).

The best option would have been the sansa clip + or clip zip but can't really find a new model for a reasonable price.

So, to be clear, portability is number 1 priority and music quality number 2 - if it was possible to rockbox that would be great but it is not a must if the player has a decent UI.

I own a sansa clip + and a xduoo x2 that I use for the gym. My gf really likes the sansa clip +. The xduoo x2 would be ideal if it had a clip or any way to attach it to gym clothes.

These are the options I have seen on amazon:

1 - Sansa clip sport 8gb - https://www.amazon.es/SanDisk-Clip-Sport-Reproductor-negro/dp/B00HCMZ2SE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466065822&sr=8-3&keywords=sansa+clip
2 - Sansa clip jam 8gb - https://www.amazon.es/SanDisk-Clip-Jam--Reproductor-negro/dp/B00VXMY262/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466066416&sr=8-2&keywords=reproductor+mp3+clip
3 - AGPtek A12 Mini - https://www.amazon.es/AGPtek-A12-Reproductor-pantalla-radio/dp/B01EJBIF7K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1466066321&sr=8-6&keywords=reproductor+mp3+clip

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 10
The Fiio M3 does not have a clip but you can buy an official sports armband for it.

Another one I found is the Philips GoGear Mix, has a clip and simple display.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 10
The Clip+ or Clip Zip are probably the best all-rounder's. They have a clip, good sound quality and weigh almost nothing.

However... that is if you can find them. They are discontinued.

The Fiio M3 is a good alternative. There's also the xDuoo X2 and the xDuoo X3 (a little bigger, but better overall, also with Rockbox support).

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 10
Hi guys thanks for your comments.

Ideally I would buy a clip + or a clip zip for portabilty + sound quality (and rockbox). However these are not available anymore through any dealer that would include a guarantee.

This is why the 2 options I am considering right now are the clip sport and xduoo x2 (I have read that the clip sport is better than the clip jam).

Has anyone tried the clip sport and can compare it to the clip + (sound quality, features, etc)

Has anyone ever used the xduoo x2 in the gym without pockets? (if so, have you attached a clip to it, a magnet or what?)

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Ok guys, I have nailed it down to 3 options:

1 - I could get her a new Xduoo X2 (I will attach the magnetic badge to it - no need for clip) - 48,99€
2 - I could get her a factory refurbished Sansa Clip + 8gb. I have found a seller that has some refurbished ones in stock. She does love the clip so this could be nice. My only concern is that it is refurbished - 49€
3 - Finally I could get her a new Sansa Clip Sport. It has a better screen but I dont know about the music quality and UI (since it can't be rockboxed, this is an important factor - 39,99€ (4gb) - 45,99€ (8gb)

I will also buy her an extra sd card whichever player I buy, so memory will not be a problem.

I do own the Xduoo and a Sansa clip + myself and I actually use both in the gym. The Sansa Clip + for extra portability and when I require the clip. The Xduoo for better music quality and when I don't listen to music sessions (since it has this 1 second gap). Still I can't make my up my mind here!

My gf has a ipod shuffle but she is really tired of it so I can't go wrong with any of my choices. She will probably use the fiio EX1 and soundmagic e10 with the DAP. I have to decide today!

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi everyone!

I know this thread is quite old and I wanted to share my experience with some DAPs I've been using for the gym in the last 2 years:

Sansa Clip +: this is one of the most portable DAPs you can buy. You can install rockbox and that makes it a very insteresting package.

Sansa Clip Sport: My girlfriend has been using this player for the last 2 years (basically untiul she lost it). She was very happy with it. I must say the extra screen and better battery life makes it better than the Sansa Clip +. Only con is that it is not rockboxable.

Xduoo X2: This is my favourite player for the gym. Best sound of these group of small DAPs. I mainly listen to house and electro music and I have the "rock" EQ on. Only cons I see is the lack of gappless playback and that it is not rockboxable. Also it lack radio FM, but I don't really use this option much.

Ruizu X50:
This is my girlfriend's new DAP. It is very comparable to the Sansa Clip Sport. In fact one could say it is even better cause it has bluetooth 4.1. Nice little screen and decent sound quality, probably a touch better than the Sandisk players.

And also....

Xduoo X3 (1st gen):
If it was not for its size this woulb be the clear winner. Best sound by far of the 5. Rockbox. It can power all my headphones. I can use 2 128gb micro sd cards. Simply a beast.

I will classify these 5 DAPS in terms of portability, sound quality, battery life and user interface (I will use rockbox as the UI when possible).

Sound quality:

1 - Xduoo X3
2 - Xduoo X2
3 - Ruizu X50, Sansa Clip Sport & Sansa Clip +

Portability:

1 - Ruizu X50, Sansa Clip Sport & Sansa Clip +
2 - Xduoo X2
3 - Xduoo X3

Battery Life:

1 - Ruizu X50
2 - Sansa Clip Sport, Xduoo X2
3 - Xduoo X3, Sansa Clip +

User Interface:

1 - Sansa Clip +, Xduoo X3
2 - Ruizu X50, Sansa Clip Sport
3 - Xduoo X2

I hope this can help some of you guys who might be looking for the best DAP for the gym!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back