best PORTABLE DAC for ~200
Jan 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sennshead

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to mostly jazz through the following setup:
macbook pro -> little dot mk I+ -> Sennheiser hd650
I was wondering which portable DAC would be the best for my needs (either optical or USB).

ps: I do have a pair of burr brown opa 627s and a brown dog adapter if a mod would make the difference.

thanks for helping out a newbie!

sorry about the confusion. I'm using the MkI+ portable

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to mostly jazz through the following setup:
macbook pro -> little dot mk I+ -> Sennheiser hd650
I was wondering which portable DAC would be the best for my needs (either optical or USB).

ps: I do have a pair of burr brown opa 627s and a brown dog adapter if a mod would make the difference.

thanks for helping out a newbie!

I just ordered the Hot Audio supreme DAC
HOTAUDIO SUPREME PCM2702 BUFFERED USB DAC [PCM2702 BUFFERED ALUMINUM] - $150.00 : HotAudio.Com, Hand Crafted Audio Perfection.

price is lowered from 200 to 150$

I listen to Jazz and rock. I am pairing it with HEAD-DIRECT EF1 amp, and denon Ah-d2000 and sennheiser HD600

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Ah, my mistake. That was probably clear to others, but not to me.

The new Pico DAC-only would fit the bill, but it might be too pricy.

A used Micro DAC would work pretty well, too.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 8
The HotAudio DAC linked to has non-variable line-level outputs. The headphone output has its own output stage, but you can simply not use it, and that stage has no impact on the RCAs.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 8
I only mention this because you hinted that you might be capable of mods (and by extension, diy builds), so...

The slickest portable dac is the DIY y1 DAC: y1 gamma-1 DAC
It can be built for $100-120, runs off of usb or ac adapter power and supports coax, optical, or usb input.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 8
I have a Super-Pro DAC from DiyKits in Hong Kong. Very versatile as it has optical, CTL, coaxial and USB inputs but it's not really so portable (can be run off battery), just small. I listen too jazz too and this seems fine; that said, I have bid on several HotAudio40 DACs off eBay lately and am in the process of burning in one of his amps. I probably would buy a HotAudio40 product again and do hope to get the MarkIV DAC soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back