Best portable DAC/AMP around 200€?
Feb 27, 2020 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

carpler

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!
After considering the purchase of a good DAP with good streaming features (but low budget!), I thought of using my current mobile phone as a source and buying a good DAC/AMP (as suggested in the above thread).

The DAC / AMP I am looking for I would like it to have these characteristics.
1) best possible audio quality (considering also the price range)
2) easy connection with mobile phone via usb (Bluetooth is a good option that I don't mind, but I prefer the wired connection)
3) Support MQA files, since I have a Tidal subscription

Here is the list of the 3 models that perhaps are currently the best choices in my price range.
[For every model I reported some tecnical data and the indicative price in my country]

Fiio BTR5
DAC: ES9218Px2
Bluetooth: 5.0 Qualcomm CSR8675
Output power: 3.5 80mW / 2.5 bal 240mW
MQA: no
Battery life: up to 9h (SE output) (550 mAh)
Price: 115€

Shanling UP4
DAC: ES9218Px2
Bluetooth: 5.0 Qualcomm CSR8675
Output power: 3.5 91mW / 2.5 bal 160mW
MQA: no
Battery life: up to 15h (SE output) (550 mAh)
Price: 95€

iFi Hip-Dac
DAC: Burr Brown
Bluetooth: no
Output power: 3.5 280mW / 4.4 bal 400mWmW
MQA: yes
Battery life: up to 12h (SE output) (2200mAh)
Price: 180€

The first two ones are very similar for tecnical specification and I read several comparison between this models.
What I miss most in the Fiio and Shanling models is the lack of MQA support (I have not yet figured out if it is a hardware limit or software side).
The Hip-Dac got MQA support, but it lacks in other features (like bluetooth), got a price a little higher and I don't know about sound quality (I haven't read many reviews about it yet).

What do you recommend? Do you have other models to suggest? I can also raise my budget, but not too much ...

Feb 27, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 2
I've got an Audioquest DragonFly Red that I like quite a bit. I'm on iOS, and I think it sounds pretty good. Works great with the Mac as well. Yes to MQA (renders the last unfold that the Tidal app decodes), no bluetooth (I don't like bluetooth sound on iOS anyway, so no big loss there). I've got Hifiman 400i Planars, Sony XM3's and the $30 Blon IEM's. Not the loudest with the 400i, but works really well with the Blon IEM. I got mine on Amazon two months ago for $159, price seems to be back up to the regular $199. I've never heard the Fiio's or the Shanlings, so I can't comment on which of the 3 sounds best, but I do like mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back