Best portable closed back headphone that sounds like Westone W30
Oct 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

genesis

100+ Head-Fier
It's been a while since I posted on Head-fi. I have been just browsing for the most part ever since I was all set with my current setup. 

My current setup includes a Sony ZX2 with a Topping NX1 amp connected to a Westone W30. I love this setup and it sounds absolutely amazing. Unfortunately for a while now, I have had an itch to get a full sized closed back portable headphone and can't seem to find the right one. 

First I thought I would go really portable and try out Bluetooth wireless options. 

So far I have tried:

1. Sennheiser Momentums wireless
2. V-Moda Crossfade Wireless

I did not like either. Neither hold a candle to the Westone W30. So I have decided that I would like to go with a wired close back headphone ( over -ear ). Is there nothing out there can sound as good if not better than the Westone W30 at the $500 dollar price point. I am sure there is. I have always been an IEM guy so my knowledge of headphones is fairly limited. 

My needs are as follows:

1. Energetic fun sound with tight impactful bass. Does not have to be perfectly neutral. Good extension in the highs. 
2. Wide soundstage. Minimal to no mid bass hump. 
3. Sound leakage should be minimal. 
4. Light and comfortable
5. Should be over ear and not on ear.
6. Easy to drive from a portable device. Should sound good with without an amp and should play reasonably loud if not loud. 
7. Price range under $500. 

So far my research has yielded two results. Shure SRH 1540 and Audio Technica MSR7. I am just worried they may sound a bit boring. I have also read about Oppo-PM3 but most reviewers seem to think they could sound boring even though they are accurate. 

Please let me know if there are other options in this category and what you guys think of those as well. Feel feel to ask me any questions as well. 

Thank you. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 5
How about giving the NAD Viso HP50 a try? May not be as light and comfortable but IMO definitely ticks the other requirements. If possible, try to demo them at your local headphone store... :wink:

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I will definitely try to see if I can demo them. I am not sure which store near me carries these headphones. 

Anyone have any opinions on the Shure SRH1540 headphones? I would be interested in hearing about people who have experience with the Shures.  

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 5
I just tried the Beyerdynamic t51i. Wow! What a revelation! Absolutely love the sound of these. I wish they were around the ear headphones but these sound fantastic. 

I liked them over the Shure 1540 and the Oppo-PM3. I am not sure if the reason was because they both needed to be amped but these sound absolutely sublime. 

Anyone know if there are around ear headphones that share the T51i sound signature? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back