Best portable CD player for Classical Music?
Sep 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

normcoop

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody/anybody,

I listen to classical music exclusively, and am looking for a really good player with a non-digital [ie. potentiometer flywheel] control, so I can select a comfortable but "full" sound for "heavier" symphonic music. If at all possible, I would also like it to include a preset equalizer with either a "live", "3D" or "surround" function, to alter the sound listening thru headphones to sound more like listening to a live concert. I have owned the Sony D-555 and Panasonic CT-510 [which lasted more than ten years], both of which I was happy with, although I wish the D-555 had an Analog volume control. Recently, I have "gone thru" two Sony's, two RCA's and two Panasonic's, trying to find a unit I could again be happy with. The Panasonic CT-582V I have now has a "3D" setting which is very nice, but the maximum volume usable varies with each CD recording, and is TOO LOW for my taste on a lot of my recordings!!! It has this built-in "D-Sound" function for MP3 enhancement, which may be causing the problem. I listen with Sony MDR-990 50 mm driver headphones. Can anyone suggest a good player for me and tell me where I can get it? Thanks so much.

Norm

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 8
     Do you know of any good portable amps reasonably priced [under $100]? Do these have there own volume control; if so, are they digital or [hopefully] analog potentiometers? How would the portable amp connect to my portable CD player?

Norm 

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 8
    Hi,

It's me again. I followed up on your portable headphone amp suggestion by searching the Web to see what's out there. Wanting to keep the cost down, if I found the Boostaroo Revolution Mini Headphone Amplifier and Sound Enhancer for $34.99. This will allow up to a 400% volume boost, is compatible with all good headphones, and has a crossfeed circuit to enhance headphone listening to sound more like a live concert. I figure this would sound more realistic than the "3D" preset equalizer function in the Panasonic CT-582V CD player itself. Are you familiar with the Boostaroo or know someone else who is?

Norm

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 8
You're probably better of doing a search in the portable amps forum, and asking there if you still don't know.  To keep it cheap, I'd recommend a CMoy amp.  You can make your own (requires soldering etc.), or you can buy them on eBay for around $35 + shipping.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 8
    The Sony MDR-V900's have 24 Ohm impedance. Are you familiar with the Boostaroo Revolution Mini Headphone Amplifier and Sound Enhancer [crossfeed]? I am considering it for $34.99 to boost the volume on my Panasonic portable CD player and solve my problem. The crossfeed circuit in the Revolution if supposed to provide concert hall-like sound.

NORM

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Do you have another pair of headphones you can sample? Maybe the problem is the headphones itself and not the CD player.

I would suggest getting the PA2V2 for an introduction amp, it's rechargeable, comes with AV adapter and connection cord for $60 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back