Best Portable Audio Player with Good Interface?
Mar 26, 2011 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jasontsay

New Head-Fier
Let me preface this by saying I'm an iPod user and always have been. I'm currently searching for something with better audio quality but also don't want something so professional, it has a horrible, non-user friendly interface. From what I've heard, Zunes have better audio quality than iPods and I don't think the interface is too shabby. Are there any alternatives out there that are as much of a pleasure to use as they are to listen to?

Or is my best option getting a portable amp for my iPod?

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying I'm an iPod user and always have been. I'm currently searching for something with better audio quality but also don't want something so professional, it has a horrible, non-user friendly interface. From what I've heard, Zunes have better audio quality than iPods and I don't think the interface is too shabby. Are there any alternatives out there that are as much of a pleasure to use as they are to listen to?

Or is my best option getting a portable amp for my iPod?

look here
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484334/cowon-j3-impressions-thread

I've been using ipods for a while now. my latest ipod was the nano (don't know what generation but it's the latest one about the size off a dollar coin). I just got a Cowon J3 and it's a very fun sounding player. sound quality is a LOT better than the ipod.  The strongest point of the J3 is the EQ and all of the sound enhancement settings that it offers. I believe that the EQ and sound enhancement is done by hardware rather than software, which explains the quality of the sound even when using EQ. (the only EQ setting I could stand on the ipod was "flat") everything else sounded horrible to me.

There are some things the J3 will not do though...
it is a music and video player. no apps and all the extras the ipod touch offers.
If you just want a fun sounding music player, you can't go wrong with the J3.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 9
I suggest rockbox which gives you far better control over your source as well as tweaks, apart from that you could look into an LOD or iMod? I'd still prefer an iPod 4/5 gen + LOD or iMod over the newer audiophile DAP's mainly due to the large capacity an ipod can provide and the easy to use interface of rockbox. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
How much better sounding was the J3 compared to your (current gen) Nano? The Touch is noticeably better than the Nano...

About to the point of the nano getting put in a drawer and not coming back out anytime soon unless I need something tiny to carry.

The J3 with the EQ flat vs the Nano EQ flat, the J3 sounds cleaner / clearer.
The J3 also has so many EQ settings and sound enhancement settings that it allows you to refine the sound signature of your favorite IEM's or headphones. (without virtually no distortion compared to ipod's software EQ which has way less options also)

For example, when i'm using my Triplefi 10's, which are known to have a little recessed mids, I eq them in slightly and they sound awesome. Most of my music is in 320kbps MP3 but when I have a low quality MP3 (128kbps - 192kbps bitrate) I use a setting on the J3 that allows it to smooth over the low quality file and it makes it sound better.

If you don't mind me asking what IEM's / headphones will you be using with this?

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Here is my current list of headphones - 

Shure SRH240
Sennheiser HD201
Philips "The Stretch"
Razer Carcharias (headset)
Jabra Halo
Ultimate Ears 700
NOCS NS200
Sennheiser CX200
Sony PIIQ Qlasp
Sony MDR-EX35LP
Apple iPod earbuds

I mainly use the UE700's, NOCS NS200, and Shure SRH240.

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Here is my current list of headphones - 

Shure SRH240
Sennheiser HD201
Philips "The Stretch"
Razer Carcharias (headset)
Jabra Halo
Ultimate Ears 700
NOCS NS200
Sennheiser CX200
Sony PIIQ Qlasp
Sony MDR-EX35LP
Apple iPod earbuds

I mainly use the UE700's, NOCS NS200, and Shure SRH240.

From looking at your list it seems like you use a mix of headphones and IEM's.

another couple of plus points about the J3:
  -It can drive headphones better than a ipod without distorting in the upper volume range. (from my ipods if i turn up the volume more than 2/3 sound starts to degrade. and not the headphone's fault at all, always the ipod)
 - you don't have to "sync" music like itunes and "zune's software" (i forget the name).
All you have to do with the J3 is drag and drop (it pretty much shows up like a USB flash drive) no software needed.

I really suggest you try it out! Amazon has a good price on them with free shipping / warranty. and you can always return them if you don't like it and you'll just be out $10 for return shipping. However I highly doubt you won't like it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
From looking at your list it seems like you use a mix of headphones and IEM's.

another couple of plus points about the J3:
  -It can drive headphones better than a ipod without distorting in the upper volume range. (from my ipods if i turn up the volume more than 2/3 sound starts to degrade. and not the headphone's fault at all, always the ipod)
 - you don't have to "sync" music like itunes and "zune's software" (i forget the name).
All you have to do with the J3 is drag and drop (it pretty much shows up like a USB flash drive) no software needed.

I really suggest you try it out! Amazon has a good price on them with free shipping / warranty. and you can always return them if you don't like it and you'll just be out $10 for return shipping. However I highly doubt you won't like it.

I'll be sure to take a closer look at it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back