Best portable audio for sound quality
Jul 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #31 of 40
Well I know of a exceptionally great sounding portable CD player. I don't know if anyone uses them any more though.

I use a "CLATronic CDP 537 MP3" portable CD player. It has a built in line-out that sound very good with a big soundstage. It's a warmer sound, not analytical but pretty detailed, still very good for a portable CDP . If you can find them I'd say get it. They are harder to get though.

EDIT #1: They normally go for $50-$75 USD, but you'll have to import them from Germany. I can't find a distributor though.

EDIT #2: Added pictures of it that I took.

EDIT #3: Found one up for bidding on Ebay.de > http://cgi.ebay.de/Clatronic-CD-Play...1|293:1|294:50

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #32 of 40
"
James_LX;5815670 said:
If you want ultimate sound quality on a portable mp3 player, go with the latest sony players. "

i owned Sony S739 and i thought it is the best in SQ and responsive EQ, So impressed with how the sound was clear and clean seperated, with the deep punchy bass.

Sony new X-series should by one step forward in SQ.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #33 of 40
While the Amp3 is ugly and spare in terms of features, screen, etc., it is both a headphone amp and DAP in one (you can also use it hooked up to external DAPs). Check the thread. Craig from Whiplash Audio owns both the Amp3 and the Sony X1060, and he reports the Amp3 offers better SQ. It's being touted as an audiophile-quality DAP/amp, and it also comes with allegedly very hi-quality ear buds, a la Yuin PK1s (which are $100+ on their own). Its specs also offer a very good battery life.

Now, it's from an obscure Chinese manufacturer, and is being sold at Whiplash as an intro offer for $149 plus S&H (the manufacturer is selling it from his website for $210). It's limited to 4GB onboard but has a card slot for MicroSDHC, up to 8GB so far. One person tried a 16GB card and had problems. Could be hype, but I get the sense that Craig is really pumped about it because he has heard it. Funniest thing, he reports even his wife can tell the difference, and she's not into tech/portable sound much at all.

Anyway, I ordered one just to check the SQ (and based on two members' early feedback). Also, one owner just reported he got Flac files to play via the onboard memory. It lists wma, mp3 and wav as its supported formats.

Weirdest, Craig at Whiplash says (and others confirm) that it actually sounds best using the provided buds, even better than with high-end custom IEMs, PK1, etc.

Just as a comparison with the Sony X1xxx series ... using specs from Amazon and the Amp3 maker's site.

Sony X1000 = 0.4 x 2.1 x 3.9 inches ; 5.6 ounces
Amp3 = 0.78 x 1.6 x 2.9 inches; 3.5 ounces

Of course, the Sony clearly wins the overall features/beauty contest. But the amp3, while thicker, is actually smaller and lighter. The SQ winner between the two will be decided as more people own both.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #34 of 40
I won't think either zune, sony, at least a and s series, ipod or cowon as best quality of DAP.

There are bunch of other players which highly recommended as "quality" DAP in other countries, they are rated above cowon and ipod, even sony.

Kenwood HD60GD9
DIGITAL HDD AUDIO PLAYER HD60GD9bŠ”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒPƒ“ƒEƒbƒh

Kenwood poduct line like A7, E504 ,B9

Korg Mr-1
Korg - Product Details

Sony PCM-D50
Sony | Product Catalog - Pro Audio

JVC victor- V80
ƒfƒWƒ^ƒ‹ƒI[ƒfƒBƒIƒvƒŒ[ƒ„[ XA-V80 bƒrƒNƒ^[

The reason they are not popular in North America is just because it has to go through a lot of trouble to get them, but it is no doubt that ipod + quality amp would be good match to either one of players

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #35 of 40
AMP3 all the way
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #36 of 40
I own a Creative Zen and while it sounds decent, it is not great. I recently tried a little (blind) test of SQ between a Cowon D2, Sansa Fuze, and iMod with RSA Blackbird. On my easy to drive IEMs, they all sounded excellent and I could not tell them apart. I now use the Fuze because I like the size and interface better. 8GB+16GB microSD=lots of very high quality music storage. My Sansa Clip also sounds just as good.

I know that doesn't really apply to large cans, but there it is.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #37 of 40
If we are talking about pure SQ nothing can touch the Korg MR-1,it has hi-rez playback capability. If we are talking about CD Redbook standard/Wav (which is the best any other "player" can do),Zunes' playing playing WMA lossless sound at least as good as other PDAPs playing Wav. The Korg MR-1 is actually designed to be a 1 bit "mobile recorder" & as such the internal battery has very short playback time! As good as the Korg sounds to me there is no way I can go back to listening to a regular PDAP so I use an external battery (that I had made for $85)w/ the Korg that gives me about 20hrs of playback time. Ultimate portability (definitely not),ultimate SQ in a portable setup(absolutely untouchable even by portable CD players!) As they say "You pick your own poison"

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #38 of 40
thanks I got the clip and love it I will post pics of rig I am using the e5 and it does ok

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Sony MWZ-x1061 and you will want to throw everything out to door...

haha the sony X1060 is best I've heard as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back