Best portable amp?
Sep 24, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #17 of 42
Hi!

Since money is no object, I would recommend the HeadRoom Cosmic with the Reference Module. It is upgradeable as well. This is the only headphone amplifier with which I have any experience...thus far. So, think about that. Anyway, it is portable and I think that it is quite good (albeit a bit expensive). Do a search. HeadRoom is a good company and their customer service is top notch. I love being able to walk around anywhere and I can take my music with me to go. Of course, you might want to consider the complimentary HeadRoom Traveler Bag. If you want to go all out, then you can add the Base Station One but that won't make it portable but it should add to the bottom end a bit.

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #20 of 42
I haven't heard the Ray Samuels XP-7 yet, but based on others feedback that it was almost as good as the HR-2, I would think it's gotta be great. Then add in Ray's excellent customer service and I think you have a real winner in the making. That is assuming your source is good enough.

Sep 24, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I haven't heard the Ray Samuels XP-7 yet, but based on others feedback that it was almost as good as the HR-2, I would think it's gotta be great. Then add in Ray's excellent customer service and I think you have a real winner in the making. That is assuming your source is good enough.

i dont think its pocket-size?? is it a tube amp or am i confusing it with something else?
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #22 of 42
I think the only truly pocketable amp is going to be the SuperMini or SuperMicro. The Micro will be smaller but will have a much shorter battery life, partly because of the booster in it and partly because it will be powered by only 1 aaa battery. Bobjew, has auditioned the prototype and while, he did say that the micro sounded a little better it was not by a wide margin.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=45668

Sep 24, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 42
If you're looking for pocketable there are a few other choices:

JMT Mint

and from Headsave

The Mint and Mini Me.

Sep 25, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
i dont think its pocket-size?? is it a tube amp or am i confusing it with something else?
confused.gif

You might be thinking of the tube amplifier he also has in development. I haven't seen the dimensions or the actual amplifier yet, but based on the pictures it's probably too big for a shirt pocket. I'm sort of projecting here, I'd carry a cinder block around if it sounded good enough!
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #27 of 42
Wow! really nice amp. Unfortunately, that's probably way out of my budget but stupid_girl_said said that money is no object.

Sep 26, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
Wow! really nice amp. Unfortunately, that's probably way out of my budget but stupid_girl_said said that money is no object.

Yeah... Sure must be nice...

This would've been me, at age 14, in the same scenario: "Hey, Dad... Buy me this $500 portable headphone amp, OK?" SMASH! CRASH! tinkle... (Sound of my father tossing me out the window on my head)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back