Best Portable Amp...
Feb 11, 2005 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ZackT

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have my mp3 player hooked up to the Bithead portable amp. I use it at the gym and walking around. But I've heard a lot of you lot talking about other headphone amps. Some say that some amps don't improve the sound but marely make it louder.

I like the Bithead because it's small and light and fits in my case. Can anyone recommend a better amp that will be both 1. Portable (no heavy metal ones please - and 2. Improve the sound - I'm after rich full sound with plenty of bass.

ZT

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 27
Well I'm not sure if the Ray Samuels SR-71 would be considered "a heavy metal amp", but it would be worth looking at. It seems to be the king of portable amps right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Other than that, look at the SuperMacro. Searches in this forum will also turn up plenty of results.

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 27
To start out, I am a big fan of the HeadRoom portables (Total AirHead and BitHead). I am also a very big fan of the Ray Samuels SR-71. It would be wrong to say that you won't receive significant sonic improvement with the Ray Samuels amp. Having said that, is your portable source such that it's worth the added investment?

Don't forget the benefit of integrated crossfeed. I listen for hours and hours at a time at work, and it would be fatiguing in the extreme to do so without crossfeed.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Feb 11, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 27
A Supermacro or SR-71 should improve the sound. It's the bottom tier amps that do little other than boost volume and neither or these would fall into that category.

Feb 11, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 27
I would strongly recommend Xin's SuperMacro. With the 4 switches you can tailor your sound and make the best fit with your requirements of your headphone(s). In addition, because it has an adapter you can run it with or without batteries.

As for sound, I have one recently configured with the OPA227s and the sound is phenomenal. However, your sound serch diligently and read about the difference between the SR71 and the Macro. They are competing for the top rungs in this price range and size.

Feb 11, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 27
well it also depends on what source you are using and now much you'll willing to go for an upgrade.

IMO, the SR-71 is warm and rich sounding, like a cup of hot Geneva chocolate. the Supermacro on the other hand is crisp and punchy, like a cold 20 oz. bottle of coke on a summer day.

Feb 11, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I'm listening to the porta corda mk II now and I feel it's quite bass heavy and pretty light so I think it may fit the bill for you.

I'm interested in this too, since I recently (well, today) got a karma. How much is this porta corda mkII?

And what are the best options for amps <$100 (the cheaper the better, ~$50 would be best)

Feb 11, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
I'm interested in this too, since I recently (well, today) got a karma. How much is this porta corda mkII?

And what are the best options for amps <$100 (the cheaper the better, ~$50 would be best)

porta corda is over your budget. a used Go-Vibe or a Super Mini Moy fits your bill nicely.

Feb 11, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm

Think of the Pocket Amp V 2 from http://www.electric-avenues.com I got it recently, I like it as an entry level amp. The builder Gary is very helpful and customer service excellent!!.
I'm new to portable amps but this sounds good to me!!!

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenman_Belg
Think of the Pocket Amp V 2 from http://www.electric-avenues.com I got it recently, I like it as an entry level amp. The builder Gary is very helpful and customer service excellent!!.
I'm new to portable amps but this sounds good to me!!!

I was looking at one of these. In fact, I've emailed Gary, and he seemed extremely nice. What kind of difference have you noticed? Do you hear any hiss in the background? What are you using with it (player/phones)?

sorry zack, not trying to jack your thread; hopefully this will be helpful for you too

Feb 12, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 27
There is twinstarr.com (try the blue or black), jmtaudio.com, and if you tell people what you want, you may be able to have one custom made for you by one of the expert DIY guys.

I found it difficult to get anyone to tell me which sub $150 amps would pair with my headphones well, so don't expect much help with that. If someone custom builds an amp for you, you can tell them exactly what you want, so that helps.

Feb 14, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
i think this thread should be moved to the amps section.

also look at http://www.evilfire.com

Thanks everyone. Still a bit confused. And sorry if this is in the wrong (portable) section but I am amping my iPod and I’m looking for something specifically portable.

From what you guys are telling me the SR-71 is a top amp (is it heavy and metal - wink?) It's fairly pricey but I'll pay for top sound quality.

The other one that gets a plug is Xin's SuperMacro. Would this be a lighter compromise?

The Porta Corda Mk II sounds great. Really looking for something to warm up my pod.

My source is uncompressed AIFF files and I'm using either EC3's or E6's so I'm sure I'm worthy of a good amp.

Love the chocolate / coke analogy,

Does anyone have a final word for me before I trawl the web with my credit card?

ZT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back