Best portable Amp for UE-11
Aug 10, 2007 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

imz14u2nv

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
I am looking for an amplifier to user with my 30GB Video iPod and new UE-11Pro (ordered and waiting).

I am not really familiar with portable Amps, so I don’t have a price range in mind, and was hoping to get some suggestions from the experts here.
How do you connect the iPod into the Amp?

Also, do any good portable Amps come with a built user adjustable graphic or parametric equalizer?

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 13
Larocco ISA Diablo.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Very prickly subject. Many flavors of portable amps, with many different folks here preferring this or that.

1) You have chosen a very sensitive set of IEMs ( I love my UE10pros). Be sure to pick an amp that will have a low enough setting to run your IEMs. Typcally you will want to look for an amp that has either a "gain" switch, or the ability to have the gain set to low at the factory.

2) Different power options, batteries, rechargeable batteries, built in rechargeable power cells. Be aware of this when you make your choice.

3) These amps are not necessarily "better" than one another, but rather different in their sound. You can read about folks impressions, likes and dislikes on the board, do some searching and reading. You could spend a whole weekend reading these threads, some replete with name calling etc.

4) If you get a chance, audition some of these amps. Many amp makers will give you a month to try their stuff, some don't.

5) Get a Line Out Device of some sort. Makers of these advertise (help support) this board, and make quality stuff. I have a Cryo LOD from ALO.

6) Consider using lossless files on your iPod. I have a few select CD's ripped to ALAC for this purpose, although I am usually too lazy, and load a much larger MP3 playlist so I don't have to try and predict what I will want to listen to.

So there you have a mini guide. I chose UE-10pros for the fit, and the incredibly detailed sound. I have both the Tomahawk and the Hornet, of which the Hornet wins by a slim margin soundwise, but the Tomahawk wins the "easy" factor hands down. These are often found in the for sale section as many of the folks here keep moving up or sideways to different amps in their enjoyment of this hobby.

So the saying goes - Welcome to HeadFi and sorry about your wallet.

Aug 11, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the Hornet UE11 sounds very milky and liquid, very inviting.

What do you mean by milky and liquid? That dosen't sound very inviting to me.

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shineman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does to me. lingo, you have both the UE10 and 11, and you prefer the 11. How much of that has to do with its novelty, do you think? I only wonder because I like your descriptions of the sound, but I want to know if it really sounds that different from the 10s.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shineman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I meant, the midrange is soo smooth, so inviting and involving. making you want to tap your toes most of the time. It's a more forward sounding presentation. Superb texture

With SME LE the sound is further back and more relaxed without sacrificing the detail, and the soundstage is a lot bigger.

For those who are familiar with tube sounds, could go for Millett. The midrange is a lot sweeter, and VERY Laid back, everything sounds softer, bigger exceptionally enjoyable for long term listening. BUT you will hear white noise unless you are using Attenuator which you could buy from UE for $20.-

So these amps are great, now just a matter of preference.
IF you listen to a lot of slowdance vocal, vocal jazz, slow asian music, you could go for Millett.

SM LE is in between Millett and Hornet. -> I think I choose this one for all rounder with UE11

IF you listen to a lot of fast pace music, Disco, Dance, Rap, R&B, Trance, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend HORNET! you will feel the POWER(BASS) of UE11.

If you find the bass impact too strong or the high too much, then Millett is good. it will balance out UE11. Again it's the matter of taste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does to me. lingo, you have both the UE10 and 11, and you prefer the 11. How much of that has to do with its novelty, do you think? I only wonder because I like your descriptions of the sound, but I want to know if it really sounds that different from the 10s.

Signature is basically the same and I am very happy for that. But UE11 got more extended high, better resolution, refinement, definitely better clarity and separation. the bass goes much deeper(it may be too strong for some).
Please keep in mind I have not done a long term listening back to UE10. I will try to use UE11 for 2 weeks and then UE10 for 2 weeks before making a final decision.
At the moment I am happy with my UE11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back