best portable amp for the akg k701
Aug 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ajsaxin

100+ Head-Fier
what it the best portable amp for the k701 s something that drives it well does not compromise on sound when compared to home amps.in short some thing that does not make you want your home amp when you use the k701. I have listed a few contenders you are welcome to add if i have missed any. a)corda move,b)xin macro 4,c)sr-71,d)hornet, and e)headroom micro

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 19
You should consider the HeadAmp AE-2. The AD8397 has a lot of output current capability for driving the K701s. If you like the sound of the GS-1 home amp... and I do, you'll find the AE-2 a very comfortable listen.

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 19
I've found that the Hornet and the Portaphile Maxxed (all options) match very well with the K701.

The Hornet has plenty of power and adds its warmth, smooth flow but with solid leading edges, bass punch and energetic/forward presentation for a very musical experience with the 701s.

The Portaphile (with LT1210 & 2x1500uf BlackGate NX caps) brings out the best of the 701's great spatiality & imaging capabilities, extension, inner detail, and also has plenty of power (but no charging circuit and a battery burner), besides adding excellent bass energy and definition. (No external gain switch, but internal accessible dip switches for Hi/Lo gain, class A on/off, hi-bandwidth on/off & LED on/off)

They both offer excellent power and sound quality in small packages, the Hornet offering a slightly smaller footprint, charger, external 3-way gain switch, and beautifully crafted case & fittings.

The AE-2 is also an excellent, smaller amp -- though larger than the Hornet and Portaphile. It can also drive the 701s very well, is quite dynamic and extended, and images very well with the 701s. In some way similar to the Portaphile in this regard, it has a great sense of air around instruments, and offers lots of macro- and micro- (inner) detail, and good layering of instruments.

Do some searching and you'll find plenty of posts about all these amps and more, though 701-specific impressions are somewhat sparse.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 19
The best match for the K701, from the portable amps i've already listened, is the Ray Samuels Audio Hornet "M" definitely. It's synergy with the K701 is superb, increasing the bass which is a must for the K701. The bass is pretty deep, controlled and really presence. Not recessed as some people say the K701 bass is.
Also is good to add that the Hornet has plenty of power to drive the K701 properly.
I would also consider the SR-71, but i've chose the Hornet based on the gain switch, size and the rechargeable circuit ...

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best match for the K701, from the portable amps i've already listened, is the Ray Samuels Audio Hornet "M" definitely. It's synergy with the K701 is superb, increasing the bass which is a must for the K701. The bass is pretty deep, controlled and really presence. Not recessed as some people say the K701 bass is.
Also is good to add that the Hornet has plenty of power to drive the K701 properly.
I would also consider the SR-71, but i've chose the Hornet based on the gain switch, size and the rechargeable circuit ...

What is the best position for the rear three position switch when using the K701s. I use the low setting for my Sensas and the high setting for my Senn 650s. Given that the K701 has an impedance of 62 ohm, is the middle position the best?

Thanks.

Simon

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 19
That depends on your taste of music. Some like Lisa III with k701 (though it has different sound signature), some like corda move (As you can see in so called move thread), some even like it with pengiun or ibasso amp... However, if you want to use k701 as for portability without sacrificing a lot of money...iMod Photo would be nice answer for since it can drive k701 at amped level through direct red wine's lineout. (get very clean and nice clarity of music with 32ohm driving power that could drive k701 at some level)

Sep 3, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 19
Just curious.. Is travelling the reason as to why you are looking for a portable amp? You weren't thinking of wearing the k701 out on a walk were you? hahaha..

I was also looking into smaller amps, not necessarily portable for travelling as I often travel interstate and internationally to my home country..

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #14 of 19
I am a lucky k701 owner and waiting for my Xin Reference to arrive.
Does anybody know whether the Ref is a good mach with the K701?

Thanks.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the best position for the rear three position switch when using the K701s. I use the low setting for my Sensas and the high setting for my Senn 650s. Given that the K701 has an impedance of 62 ohm, is the middle position the best?

Thanks.

Simon

Anyone????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back