Best Portable Amp for SR80's
Nov 21, 2005 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GrooveTropics

Head-Fier
Im about to receive a pair SR80 headphones in about 1 week and I was wondering what is the best performance to budget portable amp that a first timer could buy?

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, lots of folks here have more experience with different setups, but I'll offer my limited experience, FWIW. I had SR-80s & loved em -- only sold em when I got the HF-1s. I have used them with three entry-level portable amps:

(1) Super Mini Moy (now called the Mini Head) by Shellbrook Labs. [You will be advised by many here to do a search on the feedback for this manufacturer; I have nothing to add, as I bought my amp second-hand -- its quality was excellent, the sound signature was not to my taste, however.]

(2) Little Dot Micro.

(3) Portaphile V2 (not the newer V2 squared, called V2^2).

(4) I have also used the Little Dot Micro, but it's not portable.

Of the 3 portable amps, the Portpaphile stands head and shoulders above the other two. I suppose there's no surprise there, based solely on price. But it's a nice match with the Grado sound, and it's the one amp of those three I've kept as my portable (and sometimes home) solution. It also matches nicely with my Senn HD-580s and Ety ER-6is. I usually use the Little Dot Micro at my desk, but I'm switching back to the Portaphile more often even when stationary, as the LDII is sounding weird lately & I'm re-acquiring an appreciation for the Portaphile.

Another thought, though: The SR-80s don't really NEED to be amped. Don't get me wrong, they do improve somewhat with a good amp, in the bass response and in the overall definition throughout the spectrum. But the improvement is not overwhelming. I think that's because they are designed to work very well out of the box with a variety of sources, without an amp being necessary. (I can't say the same about the HF-1s, which really seem to need an amp to shine.)

So, my recommendation is: Enjoy the SR-80s without an amp for a while. Then, when you want to spring for an amp, get a moderately decent one, not an entry-level model. (I'm counting the Portaphile in the moderately decent camp, and I think there are others here who would agree.) Don't waste your time or money buying a low-end amp for the SR-80s -- they don't need it & you won't get much out of it.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Tom

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 5
No amp!
They run butter straight from an IPOD.
Save your loot my friend.

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 5
I ever own SR80, and ever use it with Go-vibe V3
and not found any different between amp & unamp,

you cann't get benefit from amp if you use SR80
Stay while with it, borrow an amp from your freind
and listen to it,
if you can hear different amp & unamp
that mean you need an amp,
if you can't hear different, you don't need it
and don't go with amp

Nov 23, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Awesome Guys, Thanks for the replies!!

I think I'll see if it meets my hearing (forgot what the word was) standards. If not, then I think Ill head to an Audio shop and try and see if they got protable amps and try to sample them.
Around where I live I dont know anybody that owns a quality pair of headphones and I think that none of them would know what a Headphone Amp is anyway.

And again thankyou for the suggestions Ill surely take them into to mind when deciding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back