BEST portable amp for Sennheiser HD 650
Jul 24, 2016 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aliquo93

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here and I need an advice. I own a pair of HD 650 and I want to know what is the BEST portable amp for driving them. No budget limit. And, please, just portable amps. Thanks in advance.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 8
I just got myself a Chord Mojo this week. I have used it to drive my Fostex TH-X00 and I'm very satisfied with both the DAC and it's ability to drive them. Many people use it to drive a variety of headphones: high or low impedance.

I've also used it as a a portable rig w my Nexus 6P phone driving both Shure k535s iem and Venture electronics Monk earbuds. Both of them sound great on the Mojo.

At home and Work I use the Mojo as a DAC to pair my Stax electrostatic rigs. Work set up: Mojo>Stax SRM1-MK2> Stax SR-507 and home mojo>Stax SRM 523S>Stax SR-303 and on both set ups the Mojo as a DAC blow the Schitt Modi and my Matrix DAC or of the water in over all detail and musicality.

The Mojo is $600, but you get your money's worth in SQ as a DAC and flexibility because it doubles as a decent amp.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 8
It really does seem like the Mojo is the best choice right now. It's a DAC that drives pretty much everything, and is reported to sound superior to nearly all competitors.

I can'r speak from personal experience, as I've not heard it myself.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Aune B1 Class A portable amp drives my HD600's just fine. Probably wont compare to the Mojo (though I've never heard the Mojo for comparison) but is an amp only/cheaper option.

Jul 25, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Mojo is good but has a very colored mid-forward sound, combine the mid-forward Mojo with mid-forward HD650 and it starts to sound unnatural on some tracks.

I would recommend looking into the NecoSoundlabs Portable v5 if you need just an amp or keep an eye out for the new aluminum GeekOut from LHLabs.

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 8
If they ever release it the Cavalli Liquid Spark is one great portable amp. It is to be out this Summer so I was told by Warren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back