Best portable amp..for me...
Feb 26, 2007 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lwrs10

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 60GB Ipod, K81DJ's, Shure E4C's, PX-100's and 200's, CX300's, and plan on buying some higher quality stuff as money allows. I need a portable amp that will do good with what I have, and allow room for improvement down the road. Something that is a best bang for the buck deal. The Ipod seems to "muddy up" all of my music whereas if I listen to the same songs on my computer they sound great. Any help is appreciated, as I'm still a noobie at this stuff.

On a side note, I see a few people on here use the plug on the bottom of the Ipod instead of the headphone jack when connecting to an amp.....why is this?

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 11
Currently I would conjecture that a portable amp wouldn't improve sound quality by a significant amount, but that depends on what format and bit rate you have your digital music in. If you have say 128kpbs mp3 tracks, then its likely the amp will only make the flaws and artifacts more noticable, hence actually reducing perceptible sound quality. Ideally stick with higher bit rates or as some will condone, lossless formats/bit rates.

As for portable amp suggestions, what kind of budget do you have?

The line out on the bottom is supposed to be superior to the regular headphone out on the top as it bypasses some of the crap on the ipod's circuitry. You need to use some kind of accessory to access this I think.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrs10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, I see a few people on here use the plug on the bottom of the Ipod instead of the headphone jack when connecting to an amp.....why is this?

Bypasses the internal amp, allowing for the actual original analog signal to be amped. This results in improved sound quality without double-amping the signal.

I'd recommend you look into a line-out dock first. Bang-for-buck amps I know of include the Go-Vibe V5/V6 and iBasso P1. The C&C Box V2 might also work out for you.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 11
I run all 320VBR.....try to get the best sound i can....

As far as price.......I dont even know how much these things really run. If i can get something for 100USD that sounds good and will last for years thats cool......but if I have to spend 200 to get that then i will....

Also I could use these along with my computer to get a lil better sound correct? Or would i have to get a DAC to get better sound that way?

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 11
Some people to get the best sound with upload wav files instead of any compression files to iPod, this would be very close to what you can hear from CD.

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 11
If your computer is using on board sound card. I would recommend you to upgrade the sound card to an external one (non usb-powered, dedicated power supply is preferred) It will probably give you more if you are mainly using computer as source.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 11
There are DIY solutions like a Cmoy. I being pretty clumsy at physical assembly avoid em but some people strive on such.

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 11
And the Headphonia Mini Amp mentioned above (although I've never heard one, myself) just scored nicely in Head-Fier Skylab's thorough and invaluable "shootout" review of 19 portable amps - a must read for a person in your position! Get to it
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the Headphonia Mini Amp mentioned above (although I've never heard one, myself) just scored nicely in Head-Fier Skylab's thorough and invaluable "shootout" review of 19 portable amps - a must read for a person in your position! Get to it
wink.gif

Yup. That thread is a big reason why I chose the Headphonia.

You can find it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back