Best portable amp for desktop use? (under $200)
Jul 11, 2015 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mrmonday

100+ Head-Fier
The amps I have considered so far include the NX1, the E11K, the E12, the E12A, and the C5. 95% of the time this amp will be hooked up to my laptop, but I prefer to have the option of bringing it with me on the go. The headphones that I will be using it with are the Soundmagic HP150, the Fidelio X1, and the Dunu DN-1000. However, I would like something that can also power Shure SRH1540 and Hifiman HE400s with some headroom because those are next on my wish list. The E12A seems like the best option for use with the DN-1000 but I am not sure if it has enough power for the X1 or HE400s. Also I am not sure if the DN-1000 would even benefit from the E12A. I am also tempted to go the cheaper route and get the NX1 or E11K now and get a desktop hybrid tube amp in the future. All opinions are appreciated and feel free to recommend any other amps that are in this category.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 4
I bought the Creative E5, sounds great.   Plenty of headroom supposedly to drive most any cans, and it has a low gain switch for use with IEM's.   Spent the weekend listening to old favorites and really hearing them for the first time. :)

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 4
  I bought the Creative E5, sounds great.   Plenty of headroom supposedly to drive most any cans, and it has a low gain switch for use with IEM's.   Spent the weekend listening to old favorites and really hearing them for the first time. :)

Haven't heard much about this one, thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it!

Edit: It seems like the E5 has a lot of things going on, BT, nfc, mics, dual hp jacks. I almost wish they spent the money on better audio components because that is all most of us care about. However, I would be interested to see how it stacks up against the iBasso D14, Cayin C5D, and Fiio E17 sound wise.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Fiio E11K is a great little portable amp for the price and will easily power everything you currently have. I'd save some cash now and put the extra away for a decent desktop amp when you decide to grab more demanding headphones. The E12 and E12a are also great options mind you, but your losing out in portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back