Best portable amp for AKG K271?
May 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zestinger

New Head-Fier
Hi all - quite new to the forum (although I have read extensively). After much research and demoing, I decided to pick up an AKG k271 MKII. I'm already amazed by their tonal clarity and presence in the mids, but am looking to improve the 55 OHM cans with a portable amp.

I listen primarily to club jazz (Coltrane, Davis, Keith Jarrett, Jimmy Smith) and am looking to improve the bass tightness, expand the soundstage, and improve the overall dynamic qualities.

I'll be listening primarily through my ipod touch, although will also use my macbook pro as a source (avg. 256 kbs).

Looking for the best <150 portable amp to match these specs.

Thanks.

May 11, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 3
I'd suggest you have a look on the For Sale forum here and see if you can pick up a used PINT or Mini^3.
Either would serve you well as they have a good deal of power, clean sound, small size, and best of all fall in line with your stated price range.

May 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the advice. will definitely check it out. Know anything about the Nuforce Icon Mobile? I've heard some really good reviews, and am tempted by the dual amp/DAC features as well as the extreme portability.

But, in my experience, often that portability comes at a consequence to other features. I've read a few of the reviews about it on this forum and other sites, but am wondering if anyone has matched these two or can compare the PINT v. Icon v. Mini^3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back