Best Portable Amp for ~$250
Feb 24, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #17 of 34
I have not myself heard it, but there is an overwhelming amount of feedback on that amp for it's SQ, firstly, and it's value for that kind of SQ at that kind of price and size

Check out Skylab's 32 portable amp review in the recent some pages here in the amp section, and check out any threads you can find on the amp using the search feature, I don't think anyone is going to argue against it's quality or it's value, though of course if anyone can do that with some validity, it's encouraged

Also, pertaining to it over the headsix..I haven't heard any real raving reviews about it, and certainly no feedback on it that can compare to the Porta Corda III's, but of course I encourage you to check reviews, and, comparisons, of these and all other amps that have been suggested so far.

It's an important purchase, spend some time around here, feel it out as best you can, no rush

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by uds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Along with the other four amps I listed, how does the Mini3 compare? And where can I buy it? A google search brings up nothing.

Another wonderful amp! At $125 w/ a charger a major bargain.
biggrin.gif

Sound-wise it is a tough call in that I believe it is as good as the MiniBox-E. When I compared those two side by side I preferred the MiniBox-E's presentation while vorlon1 preferred the Mini-3's presentation. Both would make you happy.

Of course now the MiniBox-E+ is out which IMO it sounds better than the MiniBox-E, not a night and day difference but enough to hear it. It will be interesting to compare the Mini3 with the new MiniBox-E+
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #19 of 34
Well, I'm stuck in choosing an amp. I can't decide between these three:

Meier Headsix
MiniBox-E+
Mini^3

Does anyone know of any direct comparisons or something of the sort. I have yet been able to find one.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #20 of 34
I bought a Mini^3 off these forums as a stop gap, as I was disappointed in having to wait for my Little Dot Mk1 (due to delivery delays from the Chinese New Year (and still waiting
frown.gif
damn you Royal Mail!!!) and Mini^3 is a great, powerful little amp. It's also my first amp, so I really don't have anything to compare it to as yet.
biggrin.gif

Wouldn't mind a MiniBox E+ as well... I thank god I haven't gotten into valve amps yet!

Use it with Nano G2, ALO LOD and Koss KSC-75 / Senn HD-580 'phones.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 34
I haven't ordered the amp yet because I'm still researching which would be the best. But I've been thinking; I won't be using the DT880's outside of home, they are too big to be using during class and whatnot. And the headphones I use with my iPod are Shure e2c's. Would I be better of just getting a home amp(Like the Little Dot MK 2 II Headphone Amp Amplifier/Pre-Amp), or would the Shure Headphones also benefit from a good Portable Amp(Headsix or Minibox E+) and also be good enough to power the DT880's to their full potential?

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #23 of 34
Another vote for the MK1. Imo it stomps the Headsix the Rockhopper mini, can't comment on the minibox. For the money the MK1 is a much better buy.
lithium batteries built into the unit, comes with charger,mini to mini(A Choseal-at that) Socketed op amp, Yeah!!! socketed!!!! Plus the customer service is tops. And it has enough power to blow your ears off
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #24 of 34
Vote for the MiniboxE+ here. I also have a Penguin (original classic, was $49), and it's nice, but not in the MiniboxE+ class. Of course, I am not an expert like Skylab or the others. Let's put it this way, you buy any of those amps on your final list, and you will be happy.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #25 of 34
Okay, raised my budget a little bit. Now I am looking for THE BEST portable amp(DAC or not, doesn't matter) within the price range of $250. Any and all opinions are welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: And yes, I've already checked out the giant review threads. I'm leaning towards a Corda2Move, ATM.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #26 of 34
Good luck with your search! I started not long ago with those exact 3 amps and trying to decide which would be best. I ended up with a Corda Arietta
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm looking at getting a true portable amp now, and may just get the mini^3. Although the Ibasso P2 and upcoming D2 seem very interesting. Minibox E+ too, loaded with so many features....dammit Head-Fi!!

Edit: Please note, im not trying to suggest anything is better then something else. I have only heard the Arietta.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

I haven't ordered the amp yet because I'm still researching which would be the best. But I've been thinking; I won't be using the DT880's outside of home, they are too big to be using during class and whatnot. And the headphones I use with my iPod are Shure e2c's. Would I be better of just getting a home amp(Like the Little Dot MK 2 II Headphone Amp Amplifier/Pre-Amp), or would the Shure Headphones also benefit from a good Portable Amp(Headsix or Minibox E+) and also be good enough to power the DT880's to their full potential?

If you don't really need portability you'd probably be better off with a home amp. Portability cost money. Maybe something in the little dot line, meier Audio arietta or used headfive, Eddie current Lunchbox, or darkvoice figaro or 336i are some examples that are in your price range.

Edit: I'm not recommending any of these just listing some I've seen praised here and might be worth looking into.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

I figure a Portable Amp will suit my needs much better ATM, so I am going to stick with that. Anymore opinions on the best, sub $300 Portable Amp?

Wow.. from $80 to 300.
Your wife doesnt know about this does she?
biggrin.gif

For what its worth I think ur doing the right thing. But once and buy well.
I feel sorry for ur wallet though!

Did I see the hornet in ur list?

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But once and buy well.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I did the same thing with Headphones. From $100 to $250. :p

I'm open to all suggestions and opinions, but I'm leaning towards the Corda 2Move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back