Best portable amp/dac for $300
Jan 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Not necessarily a direct comparison, but hopefully somewhat useful review here.

Thanks for the reply Monkey. Yeah I've read Tyll's article on the amp and find it helpful. I think at this rate I think it is a better idea if I just got a really good portable amp and a desktop dac for home since I can't even use the dac function on most portable amp/dac's on my ipod. Is that a better idea than just getting an all-in-one amp/dac?

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 36
Full disclosure: it's actually my article.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think a portable amp, desktop DAC is a good approach.  The Pico Slim is a nice, small amp.  Sometimes these "portable" rigs can get a bit big.

There's also the CEntrance HiFi-M8, which looks interesting though I haven't played with it yet.  And I've always been a big fan of the HeadAmp Pico Amp/DAC, but that gets back to your initial problem.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:
Full disclosure: it's actually my article.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think a portable amp, desktop DAC is a good approach.  The Pico Slim is a nice, small amp.  Sometimes these "portable" rigs can get a bit big.

There's also the CEntrance HiFi-M8, which looks interesting though I haven't played with it yet.  And I've always been a big fan of the HeadAmp Pico Amp/DAC, but that gets back to your initial problem.

O props to you man, good stuff. 

Yeah i keep flip flopping between getting a separate amp and dac or a amp/dac at this point. I think just as of right now I'm more on the move than anything so the amp/dac seems more appealing. But dealing with the whole ipod not being able to use third party dac's is displeasing but I was just wondering if there are any amp/dac that has as equally good dac as amp or while a combined amp/dac always have a better amp than dac? Thanks for the help guys. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:
Also has anyone had any experience with the Headroom Portable Micro Amp/Dac? Headroom is having a 30% off all their amps so it might be a good deal if the quality is worth it. Thanks!

I had it several years ago and liked it a lot.  Pretty neutral as I recall (it's a while ago now) and nice features (e.g., crossfeed).  An oldie but a goodie, imo.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

I had it several years ago and liked it a lot.  Pretty neutral as I recall (it's a while ago now) and nice features (e.g., crossfeed).  An oldie but a goodie, imo.

Thanks for the input Monkey. Maybe thinking of going with the D12 or Leckerton UHA-6 MKII at this point seems to be my top 2 choices since the Apex Glacier is a little out of my price range. Or is there anyone that recommend a $200-300 portable amp and maybe a dac for at home usage? Thanks.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Thanks for the input Monkey. Maybe thinking of going with the D12 or Leckerton UHA-6 MKII at this point seems to be my top 2 choices since the Apex Glacier is a little out of my price range. Or is there anyone that recommend a $200-300 portable amp and maybe a dac for at home usage? Thanks.

I can vouch for the Leckerton, it's fantastic IMO

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #24 of 36
So I wanted to get more of a understanding about which amp would be best for me. If I have IEMs that have warmer bassier signature I would want an amp that is more balanced and neutral than an amp that provides warmth to IEMs and headphones and vice versa? Because warmth + warmth=not good? Lol thanks any info would be appreciated.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #25 of 36
I'm just wondering what the sound signature is like for the Leckerton UHA-6 MKII. I enjoy a neutral tone with a nice bass impact. I read that the Apex Glacier has this sort of sound, but if I can get the same sound from the cheaper Leckerton, I'll go for that

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:
iBasso D12 Dual DAC.

What is the sound signature with the D12?

And I'm most likely going with the Leckerton UHA-6 MKll at this point but just wondering what kind of opamp I should be getting. I don't want a tonally flat signature, since I have a lot of warm iems/headphones with a good amount of bass, but just want something to give the entire signature a more fuller sound but not too bright. Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back