Best Portable $200 Amp for Shure E4C's?
Apr 14, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you get it and hear no difference, dont tell us we didnt warn you!

I think I may go with the PA2V for that. If I did waste my money, at least it wasn't as much. :p

And when I get better headphones later (a year or two?), then maybe I'll get some nicer headphones and a nicer amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 27
with shure e4s, you should hear a difference. (I definately did, made them sound more 'alive') make sure you ask Gary any questions that you can think of. He will gladly answer. He also gives you a lifetime warranty with this amp. Can't go wrong for a starter amp. Also, since e4s are pretty sensitive, you should get a low gain version.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 27
There's a lot of variance with phones, with amplifiers you also are able to
tell one phone from another, if you are serious about headphone listening
buy an amplifier even an average one can make a difference, I always use
phones with HIGHEND amplifiers.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

It's interesting that you hear no difference yet spend time listening to one of the sticklers for higher end audio.

Neil didn't release many of his albums on CD because he thought the format sounded terrible.

The differences may be subtle at first but they're there.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #22 of 27
I have an E4G also and asked Gary, the guy who makes the PAV2, what difference his amp should make. His response was that "you should notice deeper, more powerful bass and slightly clearer highs. The music should sound more exciting and full."

hope that helps.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with shure e4s, you should hear a difference. (I definately did, made them sound more 'alive') make sure you ask Gary any questions that you can think of. He will gladly answer. He also gives you a lifetime warranty with this amp. Can't go wrong for a starter amp. Also, since e4s are pretty sensitive, you should get a low gain version

YES! Very good advice, make sure to have Gary set the gain low. If not, you'll never be able to get the volume off the ground, channel imbalance might occur and it will not be fun- if you will be using a true line out(from my experience). If you use the amp from a headphone out, you can set the players volume at around 60% and achieve good results with high gain.

The PA2v2 was my starter amp. I wanted to get mine set to low gain but I never did, then ended up selling mine...the upgrade path is filled with many evils.
evil_smiley.gif

I will also tell you that you should be able to hear an improvement with even the low-end PA2v2. Bass had more impact, and greater dynamics were noticed. I did barely notice an increase in soundstage width though.

For my listening with the E4 I was first using the PA2v2 with a sony MD player using the headphone output. Later I used a ZV:M,line out which made any advantages with the PA2v2 more noticable.

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

You're dead wrong. Simple as that.

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I may go with the PA2V for that. If I did waste my money, at least it wasn't as much. :p

And when I get better headphones later (a year or two?), then maybe I'll get some nicer headphones and a nicer amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good point! Plus, he is wrong regarding there being "no difference." In conducting a blind test, my friend switched from my ipod directly to the e4cs and also with the Pa2v2. I def noticed the difference immediately. Get the pa2v2, escpecially if you are looking to save a few bucks. Gary is great. He is very cooperative and will respond to emails within 12hrs tops!

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #26 of 27
E4c through Tomahawk compared to straight from headphone out is like a day and night difference.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

You're dead wrong. Simple as that.

Quote:

Plus, he is wrong regarding there being "no difference."

It is subjective and everybody's system and ears are different. No one is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back