best player for running? Sony NW-S205F?
May 1, 2007 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sanity8me

500+ Head-Fier
what would you guys recommend for a good player to run with?

right now i have my heart set on the Sony NW-S205F:
-sports features such as pedometer, calorie counter, and stopwatch
-supposedly really good sound quality
-excellent slick design
-"1-Line Organic Electroluminescence Display"
-supposed to be sturdy and water resistant
-FM tuner
-3 minute battery charge for 18hrs
-i'm already used to using sonicstage because i have a vaio pocket

another concern of mine is if running with my custom IEMs (westone ES2's) is a good idea...

May 1, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Depends on how you like to wear your player for running. A couple things to keep in mind...

1. If you like to pocket your player, it has to be thin and narrow. I can't underemphasize both those dimensions.

2. If you pocket your player, you'll want some way of clipping the headphone cable to the front of your shirt. The slight bobbing motion while you run really tugs on the phone cable.

3. If you prefer the armband approach, your only concern is ease of "fiddling" for volume and track advance.

4. If your player can clip somewhere (like the 2G Shuffle), you're in heaven.

5. Not sure how useful an FM tuner is. I listen either to ambient (no pressure on keeping a specific pace) or some carefully selected "beat-per-minute tracks" that I know more or less match my pace/breathing. Music and pace/breathing can be difficult to separate. Think twice about the FM requirement.

6. A real runner doesn't need pedometers or stopwatches...just a goal.
wink.gif

I have a bad 5k habit with a 1G Shuffle in my shorts pocket. I'm really considering the 2G for its "clippability" but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a USB plug. If you don't like iTunes, there's iShuffle for drag and drop.

I'm clueless on the Sony front - not a big Sony fan because of their constant BS.

Good luck...

May 3, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 11
see, i actually am i pretty big sony fan... def not as much as before... but i've grown in love with their sound signature and i'm now pretty used to sonicstage (which is 10x better now)...

i wonder how the NW-S205F compares to the Nano in the sound quality department? i bet no body will know this, but how is the Nano's sound quality in general?

May 3, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 11
I run regularly, and was intrigued by S205F, even went to the sony store to pick it up, but on location, decided not to buy it.

I clip my player to my shorts/pants, and S205 does not come with a clip, only arm strap. Not sure how long your runs are, but I do not want anything strapped to my bicep reducing the blood flow.

It is not easy to pocket, as it is quite big. Coming from a Muvo N200, the S205 is fairly large due to its ergonomics.

It felt cheap and plasticy in my hand, this is not an issue, but still just letting you know.

Pedometer function is pretty cool, I personally have a garmin GPS watch, but this still sounds fun, as it can adjust music to your tempo.

To be honest, I would have bought it, regardless of the lack of clip, and just pocketed it, but as I run with UM2s, the cord is simply not long enough to keep the player in the shorts' pockets.

I am currently in search of replacement for my N200, and am kind of stuck, as most players have bunch of useless crap like color LCD screens with movie playback etc, which I simply dont need. All i want is tiny size, and a clip. Sounds like the job for a shuffle, my only reservations are the rumored horrid sound quality.

May 3, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 11
I use a 2G shuffle and love it! It clips anywhere. Also, have a look at the new creative players that are releasing on the 14th. They are around the same size as the 2G shuffle, and clip as well. Its called the "Creative Stone", and its only $40 for 1GB!!!

May 3, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, have a look at the new creative players that are releasing on the 14th. They are around the same size as the 2G shuffle, and clip as well. Its called the "Creative Stone", and its only $40 for 1GB!!!

Saw it on engadget too.
Direct video comparo here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4216308.html

Stone uses standard usb jack, and is drag and drop which is a plus, but it is bigger, and alas no clip ;\

May 3, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by t10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw it on engadget too.
Direct video comparo here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4216308.html

Stone uses standard usb jack, and is drag and drop which is a plus, but it is bigger, and alas no clip ;\

Wow, I thought it had a clip! Hmmm. Nice review.

May 3, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Engadget says "as the 1GB, clip-equipped player will retail for just $40 when it hits shelves on the 14th."

Lol thats weird.?!?

May 28, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 11
My local ad for Cicuit City had the 2gb Sony models for $59.99 for the week starting yesterday!
cool.gif

It's not that price on their web site though. Definately a great price for probably the best little workout PMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back