Best planar to start with - Coming from HD700, need change
Oct 26, 2016 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Audio-Phile

100+ Head-Fier
So, as the title says, I'm sort of at a loss as to where I should go next. I think I've read everything on every planar headphone available. Unfortunately, all I've ever heard is a pair of LCD-Xs being driven out of a Bryston...was surprisingly neutral, and a bit disappointing in that there wasn't much warmth.

Unfortunately I'm not close to any good dealers, so all I have is what I read and am able to glean from others. Right now using a pair of HD700s with a Chord Mojo, and while this sounds very good, my ears are bleeding. Also, the bass is nice but still not a ton of it. I feel like my impression of what a typical well-driven Audeze sounds like is what I'm looking for, but not sure since all I have is one reference point from their most neutral model.

Best way to describe what I want is something with the detail and soundstage that the HD700s are giving me (or better, if possible, in both areas) but without the pain at high frequencies, more warmth and a bit more weight behind the bass. Have heard the HD700s out of a decent HiFi pre-amp, and to be honest it wasn't much better than the Mojo relative to what I'm looking for. They don't seem to have much left in terms of bass or warmth. Excellent headphones, but I'd like to try something different for some of the music I listen to.

Have considered LCD-2 or a used LCD-3, both seem to roughly be like what I'm looking for with a proper amp (which I will need to acquire as well) - but of course haven't heard either yet. Hifiman is always intruiging, but the build quality is troubling.

Sorry for the book, just trying to convey all the thoughts I've had on this in recent months. Thanks so much for any advice, sorry if this isn't quite the right type of thread for this sub forum.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 3
I had thought of this, but I've heard horror stories of both build quality and keeping them powered properly. Not sure I have room for a stack big enough to do them justice either at the moment. May change soon.

Been trying to get direct comparisons of the LCD3 vs HE6 but there are few and most are biased one way or another. Also it seems you could tap the HE6 into a car stereo amp and it would still be underpowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back