Best place to purchase Audioengine A2+ (discount/coupons)??
Nov 23, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 13
Hey man, I used to own a set of AudioEngine A2 (no +) and have replaced them with my Polk Audio Hampden speakers that blow the A2 out of the water sound quality wise. They have a built in DAC just like the A2+ does. Many people complain that the A2(+) need the subwoofer added to them that AudioEngine sells, which obviously costs more money. The Polks need no extra subwoofer, they can compete with studio monitors I have heard pretty well and at an awesome price, Amazon has them for $175 (normally $399).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00II5T5HS?ie=UTF8&tag=gosale-20&m=ATMBMOC9C06HC

This isn't me, I just feel like he talks about the speakers the way I would.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Wow these do sound awesome. I found the following two well recorded video tests on youtube

and i must say that i am definitely impressed with the sound i heard through my HD600s. However, i am not familiar at all with Polk as a brand or these speakers. How is their aftermarket support and Q/A?

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm not sure, I haven't had any issues with mine at all so the support doesn't matter much to me. I used to listen to headphones while I worked on cables and stuff, but I use the polks now, they sound great. I guarantee you'll like them man.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 13
Cool, thanks for all the help. I read some reviews and all and i think i might just buy the Polk Hampdens 
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 13
Ugh this forum... I have the old A2's and now I'm wondering if I should get the Polks. They seem to be 11.6" high, quite a bit taller than the A2's, so they'd have to sit a bit behind my monitors... hmm... I was here to figure out what DAC/amp to buy.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Well i received the Polks yesterday and am still putting them through their paces, testing stuff and all. Some of my early impressions: The clarity is amazing with sparkly but not sibilant highs. Mids are just about enough (at times slightly recessed) and the bass comes in loads when needed. Its crazy that its able to reproduce some of the bass. I played Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard’s “The Dark Knight - Why So Serious?" from the OST and the 34 Hz sub-bass at 3:30 played perfectly, just as good as my HD600s. I only wish that there was a means to control it as i am by no means a bass head and would like to keep a check on it in certain songs.

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 13
  Well i received the Polks yesterday and am still putting them through their paces, testing stuff and all. Some of my early impressions: The clarity is amazing with sparkly but not sibilant highs. Mids are just about enough (at times slightly recessed) and the bass comes in loads when needed. Its crazy that its able to reproduce some of the bass. I played Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard’s “The Dark Knight - Why So Serious?" from the OST and the 34 Hz sub-bass at 3:30 played perfectly, just as good as my HD600s. I only wish that there was a means to control it as i am by no means a bass head and would like to keep a check on it in certain songs.

How's it doing 34Hz sub bass when the speakers are rated at 50Hz-22KHz?

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 13

How's it doing 34Hz sub bass when the speakers are rated at 50Hz-22KHz?

That's actually a good question. I checked before purchasing and they were rated at 50Hz-22KHz but from what i understand, the frequency response is generally given for a +/- dB range with some extension beyond the range right? Either way, i can hear the sub-bass in the OST clearly above and i did a quick search to find out its frequency and found it to be 34Hz.

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 13

That's actually a good question. I checked before purchasing and they were rated at 50Hz-22KHz but from what i understand, the frequency response is generally given for a +/- dB range with some extension beyond the range right? Either way, i can hear the sub-bass in the OST clearly above and i did a quick search to find out its frequency and found it to be 34Hz.

That's cool. I actually ordered them and then cancelled because I read a bunch of people saying they kept turning off even when they were being used. Also, they may well be better than the A2's, but size-wise they're really comparable to the A5's. The A2's are an ideal size for me and I've not seen speakers that compete in that respect.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 13

That's cool. I actually ordered them and then cancelled because I read a bunch of people saying they kept turning off even when they were being used. Also, they may well be better than the A2's, but size-wise they're really comparable to the A5's. The A2's are an ideal size for me and I've not seen speakers that compete in that respect.

They have an energy saving thing which causes them to shut down after 20 mins of inactivity. During my use however, i haven't seen them shutdown even once whether i was listening to music or just gaming. They shut down only if there are completely inactive.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 13
  They have an energy saving thing which causes them to shut down after 20 mins of inactivity.During my use however, i haven't seen it shutdown even once whether i was listening to music or just gaming.

It seems to be an anomaly, but pretty annoying if it does do it. I've convinced myself I don't need these right now. The A2's are fine. More than fine really, they're great. I tried the A5+ a year ago, and didn't find them to be much better than the A2's, but way larger, so returned them. I'm sure the Polk's are better overall, but the A2's really are tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back