Best place to purchase an Earmax pro?
Feb 15, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Some audio sites in the UK will ship to the US but after import duties and shipping it comes out close in price anyway.
Plus you give up any possibility of service if you need it.
In the US, these are the only two places that I know of.

My take is this:
If you are willing to make a $750 investment in audio, is saving $50 worth it in the long run if you can't get any service with it?
confused.gif

Feb 15, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 10
From what I understand, Audio Advancements has an agreement with it's resellers to sell only at the suggested retail price, which for the Earmax Pro is $750.

By the way, Audio Advancements is out of EMP's until April at the earliest. I know...I just bought their last EMP
very_evil_smiley.gif
So unless themegifts has one in stock....you will probably have a little wait.

And with the EMP, I have a new HD-600 too! So add me to the Sennheiser faction!!!

The reseller I bought from quoted me a package price of $909 + $36 insured US priority mail - $945 total. I was a little uneasy, because I've only seen them on ebay advertising the HD-600's for $239 + $14 S/H & their ad stated package deals. I verified with Audio Advancements that they were an authorized reseller before ordering. That's when I heard about the pricing. I mentioned I had a good price & AA wanted to make sure that the reseller was not selling below $750. When I mentioned it was a package deal, they said "I don't care what they do with the headphone pricing, but we want to keep the EM's at the suggested retail price" (may not be exact wording, but the meaning is the same.)

Larry in Dallas
smily_headphones1.gif
<---HD-600's

Feb 15, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Thats not a bad price for that killer combo! Thinking about cables yet?

Bootman,

Oh yes...it'll be between the Cardas & the Equinox, of course! And like everyone else, I'm waiting for the final reviews to be completed
smily_headphones1.gif

And I'm also thinking about the Twisted Pairs Game Junkie to hook up my D-25s to the EMP. (It's set up at the office)

And I'm already thinking about trying different tubes...looking at some Telefunkens...

And.....you know....y'all are a *real* bad influence!!!!! My poor checkbook!!!

Larry in Dallas

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 10
I bought mine from a private reseller on www.audiogon.com . I even got a bunch of NOS tubes thrown in the mix, so I've been occupied for months just tuberolling.

Good call on the Senns, LarryS! I use my EMP with both my Grado RS-1 and Senn HD580, and they're both just unbelieveably good. I have to say I prefer my Grados for most music, but at least once a week I plug in my Senns and they do sound terrific. I have the stock cables, but I found that the whole "veil" problem disappears with the right tubes. And the bass! Be careful with too bass-heavy music, because the bass response from the EMP/Senn combo will make your ears throb for a few hours!
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

And the bass! Be careful with too bass-heavy music, because the bass response from the EMP/Senn combo will make your ears throb for a few hours

Kubernetes,

I think you may be right about that.

I like a tight, taut realistic bass & very much dislike boominess. The HD-600's seem to fit the bill in that respect. They do not have a muddy bass, but yet will go down fairly low.

Yesterday, I was listening to Holst's The Planets & really enjoyed the vibrations from the bass violins. The horns are fat & brassy, too. I may have had the volume up a bit too high. I actually felt the headphones physically rumble (vibrate) on my head at one point, but the sound was so good, it didn't seem like I had the volume turned up too high.

But, I have to admit that my ears are a bit achey this morning. Ouch! The EMP booklet said not to listen at a "high sound pressure level". I thought it odd that it didn't say volume. Now I believe the word pressure is a more apt description.

Which tubes have you found to be the best? I was just ready to order the Sylvania Gold 6201 & I have a pair of Telefunken 6922/E88CC's on the way. But I am willing to experiment some more
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
Larry in Dallas

Feb 16, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 10
biggrin.gif

To tell the truth I've never even look at the labels on my tubes before... like I said, the guy who sold the EMP to me supplied three sets of 6922's and 4 different 12at7's. I just switched them around until I found the sound I like. Looking at it now, I have a green label Sylvania 12AT7 and some Sovteks.

Loving the sound still, but I might just order some new tubes myself.

Feb 16, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 10
they don't have a webpage but here is the email address of the people i bought my sennheiser 600's from for $245

they also sell the earmax and earmax pro

teamconsultants@tcinternet.net

disclaimer: i have no interests in this comany, i have no relationship with this company other than being a happy customer (hate people plugging stuff and you find out they are related somehow!)

matthew
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

they also sell the earmax and earmax promailto:teamconsultants@tcinternet.net

Yes, that's the outfit I ordered my combo from. The name of the company is Sound Emporium, and other than their advertisements on Ebay, they have a minimal web presence. As I mentioned above, I was a tad uneasy ordering from them, but did verify with Audio Advancements that they were an authorized reseller. I tend to be somewhat cautious. I still sweated a bit when I sent out the money orders, it was a lot of money. Was the sweat worth the $75-$100 I saved by ordering from them? Still not sure
smily_headphones1.gif
But...they did send out the HD-600 & EMP pretty much as promised (little mixup on the color, but s'ok).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back