Best place to get an iPod Video (Gen 5.5) right now?
Jan 3, 2008 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jj69

500+ Head-Fier
I hope someone out there can give me some leads. I need an 80gb Generation 5.5 iPod Video for use with Rockbox.

I've been watching the Apple refirb page like a hawk for the last 4 weeks, but no 80gb models have shown up.

Today I actually bought one at an fye store. Each store has a few left for $330 - $130 rebate = $200. However, now that I just read the nonsense rebate terms, I'll probably end up returning it.

Is there another reliable source in the US for a previous generation iPod? What is a fair price, considering a new 80gb Classic is $250?

Do the 80gb models ever show up on the Apple refirb page, and what do they usually charge?

TIA

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 21
Overstock.com has some last time I checked, at a small discount.

You can search Amazon, and last time I checked there were still some available from a few sellers, but they were really expensive, like $400+. I guess maybe people are looking for them to have them modified or something like that and they're getting rare.

Also check out smalldog.com

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple.com has them in their store NIB in the clearance section.

I never even noticed the Clearance section before! They only have White left in 80GB. I bet if I noticed that section a month ago they still had the Black ones! The price ends up being the same as fye after rebate and tax, so I suppose it's not a total loss. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 21
Define "Best"...
wink.gif

As in best price, best condition, best availability? Or?

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 21
I found mine on ebay a few weeks ago from a Canadian refurbisher for $225.00 I was able to visit them in person and the 80 gig units they were selling were indistinguishable from new. I liked them so much, I bought 2 and got a small discount of $30.00.

Jan 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 21
1--buy one on ebay
2--go toa supplier and get a larger capacity battery
3--send Ipod and battery to Vinnie
4--get it Imodded--Vinnie installs battery while he's doing mod
5--call Ken and get his ALO cable

Sit back, relax, enjoy

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 21
got my white 5.5 80gb video last night from apple's refurb section

219.. 236 after tax.. free shipping

I was happy going through Apple since they replace the battery and the back case and check performance.. how much of that list is done by other "refurbishers"... I'm not sure

now to mail it off to Vinnie

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 21
Damn, did you get lucky. I was searching that refurb/clearance section at apple for a week - nothing. Wound up buying mine from ebay... Hm maybe I need a white one to go with my black one...

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 21
Why don't you just buy one from another Apple site - I've just had a look at some of the other international sites and there is plenty to choose from in the refurb sections...

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 21
The 80 gb white ones were all sold from the U.S. apple web site the same day!

Check ebay for a seller called "Dyscern." It's a top-rated ebay company (99.9 percent positive feedback with 60,000 sales). They pretty frequent have refurbed 5.5 gens. They also have "sealed" 5.5s for $225. They state that these refurbed were returned to major retailers still sealed and new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back