Best place to get a Darkvoice repaired in Bay Area?
Feb 7, 2008 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally got a Darkvoice (first tube amp) to go with an incoming K340, but the Darkvoice seems to have been damaged during shipping. The power switch is broken (is able to rotate 360 degrees about the base) and the unit does not power on (I can move the switch roughly up and down and hear a clicking noise, but it does not power on). So, where should I get it repaired? I already sent an e-mail to The Sound Well, which is only a few blocks away, but in case they won't repair it (because there isn't sufficient documentation on it or something), where else can I take it for repair? I really don't want to be burdened with trying to get this whole mess sorted out, so I'd prefer it if the locations were close to UC Berkeley (or I guess I could ship the amp?). Any suggestions are kindly appreciated.

Thank you.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Bump, I just got a reply back from The Sound Well, and the quote I got is way too much ($100+). Does anybody know any other options?

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Can you open it to look for damage. A power switch could potentially be replaced without even the need for soldering. You might be able to just crimp a new one in, but we need to see the internal damage first.

Feb 8, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you open it to look for damage. A power switch could potentially be replaced without even the need for soldering. You might be able to just crimp a new one in, but we need to see the internal damage first.

I've already opened it up and I didn't notice anything broken, but I'll try to open it up later tonight and try to take pictures. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a good luck at the switch section because it's covered like in this picture of an older Darkvoice:

http://img270.imageshack.us/img270/6...24x10726gs.jpg

Feb 8, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already opened it up and I didn't notice anything broken, but I'll try to open it up later tonight and try to take pictures. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a good luck at the switch section because it's covered like in this picture of an older Darkvoice:

http://img270.imageshack.us/img270/6...24x10726gs.jpg

Gotcha, I didn't realize that thing was P2P... Nice. Anyway, Yes, I'd try to get in there and see if you broke a switch lead/wire. If that's the case, you should be able to fix it with little trouble. If you can hold a pencil you can solder.
wink.gif
Should cost you $12 worth of hardware from Radio Shack if you can't get the stuff at school. Hopefully, that's it.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi Azure. The same happened to me when I got my Darkvoice. If your amp's switch is broken and you don't find it anywhere, let me know. I will mail you the switch for free, so you tell a friend or someone that can fix it. Thanks

TURBO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back