Best Pink Floyd album?
Apr 9, 2003 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
which is everyone's fav?
DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, Momentary Lapse of Reason, maybe even Division Bell if you want to count that? Saucerful of Secrets? Meddle?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Apr 9, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 40
Wish You Were Here
Meddle
Division Bell
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Saucerful of Secrets
The Wall
DSOTM

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 40
in approximate order. it kinda shuffles around from time to time, but goes something like this:

- Atom Heart Mother
- Dark Side of the Moon
- Wish You Were Here
- Piper at the Gates of Dawn
- The Wall
- Meddle
- Ummagumma
- The Division Bell
- A Saucerful of Secrets
- Is there anybody out there?
- The Final Cut
- Relics/More/Obscured by Clouds
- Pulse
- A Momentary Lapse of Reason
- Delicate Sound of Thunder

Delicate Sound of thunder was abysmal, IMO. and i really didnt much care for momentary lapse either, 'cept for a couple of tracks.

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 40
delicate sound of thunder dsotm momentary lapse of reason

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 40
NathanJM,

No room for Animals on your list?

also, out of curiousity, where in Minneapolis do you live?

Apr 9, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 40
I've always been partial to meddle, even though it, like wish you were here, has a large number of passe tracks (The entire middle of meddle, welcome to the machine, have a cigar), the bookends, especially echoes makes the album something beautful and wonderful. Wish you were here is a good album, IMO, but not great. Shine on you crazy diamond gets lost in the over-abundant synth keyboards, wish you were here is probably my single favorate pink floyd song though

Darkside of the moon is a great album, pretty much begining to end, with few weak tracks, aside from on the run, but doesn't capture the same beauty that a song like echoes does in my humble opinion

The wall has some great tracks on it, however, some of it really only makes sense in the context of the album (Comfortably numb undoubtly). Hey you is still a great song though.

I just don't understand syd barret. Perhaps there is some genus to him, however, i've never been able to see past the fact that he's clearly insane

Apr 9, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
NathanJM,

No room for Animals on your list?

also, out of curiousity, where in Minneapolis do you live?

whoops i knew i left something out.
animals falls somewhere in the middle.
i've only listened to it a couple of times, which is why i am hesitant to give it an exact slot on there.

as for where in minneapolis, im here for school, so im staying in the dorms at the University. can't wait until classes are done so i can hook my sacdp up to the speakers at home (near green bay, wi) and audition the multichannel layer of the dsotm sacd!

Apr 9, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 40
The best Pink Floyd track, IMO, is the
long version of "Interstellar Overdrive" on
the Live in London LP.

Apr 10, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 40
the most brilliant album ever IMO: DSOTM

I love Wish You Were Here as well, all of it. I only just got Meddle, and I definately love Echoes and most of the other tracks (specially the first). Animals I still can get a full grasp on, but Sheep is hilarious! next up is The Wall, kinda expensive so I haven't got around to buying it yet..

Apr 10, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 40
Top Five:

Wish You Were Here
The Wall
Animals
Dark Side of the Moon
Meddle

Apr 10, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 40
"The wall has some great tracks on it, however, some of it really only makes sense in the context of the album (Comfortably numb undoubtly). Hey you is still a great song though"

The wall does have some very good tracks, but I don't like the album. It seems very different in spirit than most of the other albums mentioned in this thread. I've never understood why it's so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back