Best Phono Stage OR Cartridge for ~$200
Sep 17, 2007 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

narticus

100+ Head-Fier
So right now I'm running a Rega P1 into my old Marantz PM-68 Integrated Amp. It sounds good, but not great. I have a feeling a dedicated photo stage would really improve the sound. If anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know so I don't waste my hard earned cash!

I am not DIY savvy, so a prefabricated one would be the only way to go for me. Used or new, doesn't matter.

edit: In addition to that, I may be looking for a better cartridge as well. Using the stock Ortofon right now.

Any suggestions?

(also, after hooking the P1 up to a new stage, would I wire it into the same phono inputs on my Marantz?)

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 22
I'm running my P1 through a bottlehead seduction phono stage and I love it....of course, it's a DIY kit and $279 so that kind kills that.

The Hagerman Bugle is a kit, but you can buy it assembled as well.

http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

I have not heard the Hagerman, but n_maher has...at least I think he has.

Sep 17, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by narticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also wondering which would make a more significant improvement in sound quality, a stage or a cart.

Phonostage should usually come last. In order of importance you should spend the most on Turntable>Arm>Cartridge>Phonostage...

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Just the stock P1 > Marantz Int. Amp PM-68 > KEF Q55s

So it has an Ortofon OM5 on it? You can upgrade the stylus on these to an OM40 without changing the cart itself I think, otherwise the new Ortofon 2M is supposed to be a great performer. Other carts in this pricerange will give you a lot of different flavours of presentation but not really a comprehensive improvement any order of magnitude better.

The Ortofon's are very smooth and well mannered. If you want something more characterful you could go for an Audio Technica AT440MLA which will give you more detail and top end sparkle. If you want something warmer then perhaps a Shure M97 or Denon DL160 high output Moving Coil.

Going much over this you are into lower output Moving Coils which are more sensitive about phonostages and I'm not sure whether the arm on the P1 is upto the job anyway. Spending much more than this on a cart at this level isn't really worthwhile and you're better off trading up to a better deck first.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 22
My friend has recommended that AT cart as well. Do you think it's worth it to buy a new cart, or should I just upgrade the stylus? Whichever would make a more noticeable improvement is what I'm going for.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

My friend has recommended that AT cart as well. Do you think it's worth it to buy a new cart, or should I just upgrade the stylus? Whichever would make a more noticeable improvement is what I'm going for.

The AT440 will work very well in the context of your system I think as the Marantz amp is quite sweet sounding anyway. It's going to give you a much crisper more detailed high end and a lot more forcefullness compared to your current Ortofon.

It's also a bit of a bargain being commonly available for 80 or 90USD, which is much less than it originally sold for and it has a contact line stylus which is very good at digging below the surface noise.

Common criticisms of AT are that they are a bit "Hi-Fi" by which I mean they give you loads of bells and whistles but are weak on things like instrumental timbre. This is quite music dependent. If you listen to a lot of string quartets or jazz you might prefer a better Ortofon. For Rock and most other music you'll probably be happier with the AT.

Some people also find AT's harsh in the highs but this shouldn't be a worry in your system as I said.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Thanks so much for your help memepool! The AT440 sounds like my best bet. Especially, as you said before, because I shouldn't put too much money into this turntable.

No problem. The only thing I would add is to make sure you align the AT properly with a protractor when you mount it as those contact lines are very sensitive to correct alignment and will damage your records if improperly set up.
Download and print off an alignment protractor from the web then get it laminated at a print shop or else turntablebasics make a nice one printed on a mirror which makes it easy to use. If this kind of thing gives you the fear then get a dealer or someone who is competant to fit it for you.

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm running my P1 through a bottlehead seduction phono stage and I love it....of course, it's a DIY kit and $279 so that kind kills that.

The Hagerman Bugle is a kit, but you can buy it assembled as well.

http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

I have not heard the Hagerman, but n_maher has...at least I think he has.

I have a Hagerman Bugle and I really don't think you can do any better for the price.The Cambridge Audio 640P is also a good one for those who need a pretty phono stage in a fancy box.I think I would upgrade the table before investing in a better phono stage though.

Sep 17, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Yeah I understand proper setup can be difficult. Besides the alignment protracor, what tools would you recommend?

A stylus force gauge is kind of necessary with Rega arms as those green dots they use are pretty hopeless. The Shure one is fine.

The only other thing is a non magnetic jewelers screwdriver or similar but they often given you one these with the cart and it's not so much of an issue with MMs. AT are pretty no frills at this end of the market though so you may need to buy one and some mounting bolts. Again Shure make a good kit as do Michell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back