Best 'phones sub-$175 for rock?
Dec 12, 2005 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Istasi

Head-Fier
After lurking around here for a few weeks, I've decided that it's finally time to kiss my wallet goodbye and make a post. However, this post probably won't affect my wallet in any way, seeing as I'll be asking for these headphones Christmas. I don't want to ask for anything too pricey, so I'd like recommendations under $175 (preferably below $150).

I listed to lots of classic rock (Queen, AC/DC, Aerosmith, U2, The Who, etc.) as well as some more contemporary artists/groups (ranging from Kanye West to Coldplay). However, my primary focus is rock, so I'm looking for the best rock 'phones around $150. Closed or open doesn't matter, as I'll be listening to these around the house mostly. Also, I'd prefer something that was easy to drive, seeing as I'll be running these out of an iPod Nano (unamped at the moment, but I plan to pick up an entry-level amp sometime early next year.) I'm new to the world of "high-end" headphones, so I would be very grateful if you could explain your recommendations.

Here are a few of the headphones that piqued my interest:

Sennheiser HD 595 - $155 at compuplus.com
-These cans are near the top of my budget, but I really like the look and I've heard they're more agressive than most other Sennheisers, which I assume is a good thing for rock?

Sony MDR-SA100 - $100 at eCost.com
-Haven't really heard much about these, do any of you have experience with these?

Alessandro MS-1 - $100 at alessandro-products.com
-I've heard these are much more balanced than the Grado SR line. Would that make them better all-rounders?

AKG 240S - $100 at amazon.com
-These are apparently great entry-level headphones, good for gaming (which I may use them for on my PSP), as well as music. Does the sound quality take a hit due to their semi-closed design?

Grado SR60 - $70 at amazon.com
-The entry can of the Grado line. Perhaps I should start with this to see if I like the Grado sound?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dec 12, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 23
With a little luck, a used SR-225 and a used C-Moy will squeek in at under $175. And, if you don't like them, you should be able to sell them here for about as much as you bought them for.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
my guess is that Istasi is going to be asking his/her parents for the phones. the suggestion of used cans is probably not appropriate here. does anyone actually read the OPs anymore?

That is correct.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. It looks like the general consensus is that a Grado would be good, either the SR60 or the MS-1. What are the main differences between these two?

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 23
Best can for rock that that is under $175.00, is definately the Beyer dt990.
At $157.00 at Amazon.com, it pretty much cleans the clock of everything else in that price range.

- augustwest

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
At $157.00 at Amazon.com, it pretty much cleans the clock of everything else in that price range.

- augustwest

Aren't the 990s 250 ohms? Wouldn't that make them difficult to drive from a Nano?

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 23
I've listened side by side to the 225's with the SR60's straight out of my ipod. A buddy of mine and I did a comparison. We both agreed that unamped the difference is marginal at best. The 225's were cleaner and more transparent (to my ears, he couldn't really tell I don't think), but certainly not worth 3x the price.

SR60's with an iPod is a sweet setup, no doubt about it. The next step from there is the SR225, but it needs an amp to walk away from the SR60.

Dec 13, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest

- augustwest

... Not without an amp.

to the OP.
Unamped, go with an SR225, alternately MS1 if you want a less colored presentation.

Modded K240s is my fave but it needs an amp to shine. K240s are on ebay new/shipped for $80 that + a govibe would be my personal recommendation. IMHO their semi-open design does not hinder them at all, MUCH broader soundstage than any comparably priced-fully open Grado.

IMHO of course.
Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back