Best phones for running
May 14, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 30
Earbuds, aka Yuin PK2/3
Or PX100, iGrado, pretty much something open.

Some type of semi-closed IEM - many Sony/Senn/Denon IEMs have adequate isolation if you really need it.

Been running track/cross country for ~5 years now and running with IEMs with extreme iso. can get annoying.

May 14, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #18 of 30
I use the Sony MDR-AS100W for jogging. They can take the sweat and sound quality is good for that purpose. I jogged with my UM2's a lot in the past but once I had to send them out to change the filter, which became clogged with sweat and who knows what else. I will never take my UM3X's jogging! not after my experience with the UM2's.

May 14, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 30
Another vote for the Sony ex85. I think they sound really good. Not too warm, but that is personal taste. I think the JVC fx66 is too bright/harsh, for comparison. I also use JVC fx34 and fx33. Not as bright as the fx66. The fx34 and fx33 might have too much isolation for running on streets, but for the gym they are really good. They are about $6 shipped on ebay. For that price, you can order half a dozen and not care what happens to them.
The Senn omx/pmx80 neck or ear models sound pretty good, but not enough isolation for the gym for my taste. They might be fine for running outdoors.

May 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to sweat alot and sweaty pads = no.

Yep, not to mention ear infection. If one would like to run with foam pads or tips, wash them regularly or risk a doctor visit in the near future.

--

I've run with fairly recent models lately. The Sony AS20 was decent. The ear loops worked well for me. The set was the most secure I've used since the Koss KSC22. There were some some flaws however. It sounded bad, the cable was unwieldy, and shorted out after a month. Still the price is right, so if you get tired of replaceing earsets and are a trail and gym junkie, where stability exceeds sound quality - it's a very attractive option.

I was very happy with the Sennheiser MX85. The twist-to-fit system worked great once one got a hang of it, plus the sound was decent, which is a good deal better than most running buds I've tried. Unfortunately, they only lasted months. While a fairly good span for me, when one considers the price... Take that out of the consideration and they're the best exercise buds I've used to date; just wish they would offer a plain black model.

May 19, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 30
I run with my custom C2s, I like it because there is pretty much no way for them to fall out so I don't have to mess with them while I'm running. I also use them without an amp in a 1st gen ipod nano while running and they sound pretty nice. If you're looking for something for running and only running I'd go with the alien ears single driver or if you're really look for good SQ go for the C2s-3s.

May 19, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 30
I'm afraid I won't be much help steering you towards a decent set as I haven't found one yet, but I would steer clear of the Sennheiser PMX70. Sound quality is mediocre at best, bass is almost nonexistant, highs are somewhat tinny, and they're not the sturdiest 'phones either. I had mine for less than an hour before they broke. The tiny little screw that holds the earbud to the frame broke away from its mount, allowing the bud to just dangle by the wires. A quick drop of superglue on the mount solved the problem for now, but I fully expect it to happen on the other ear as well.

May 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #23 of 30
Jogging outside with iem's is probably really dangerous since you're not quite as alert when you're "in the zone" and with music distracting you. I just started jogging and I haven't found anything that works for me. Earbuds fall out way to easily, three steps into my jog and they just flop out.

I'm going start trying the UM1's since they are comfortable and definitely won't be falling out of my ears, but I'm afraid of being too isolated.

How often do headphones fall off when running? Someone mentioned portapros earlier, but I'm thinking, with the bouncing up and down while running, won't they slip off?

May 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 30
I find the best running solution for me has been the 1st gen. iPod Shuffle with a Koss KSC-35 with a cheap headband mod. I could never really take to the ear clips, so now I have a cheap metal headband that constantly gets comments asking if I got me headphones from the '80's. I don't mind though.

I once ran with UM2's, but that is asking for a quick death. If you run on a treadmill, this might not be an issue. Hearing cars is a very important part of staying alive while running outside.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 30
I just got a pair of these clips called HearBudz. They're compatible with the white Apple earbuds, which is cool, since I have a few of these already, because they come with every ipod, ipad, iphone or nano. They securely and comfortably stay in place, and don't fall out, even while  walking, jogging, running, bicycling, skating, exercising, working out etc... check'em out they were only $6.95 for a pair 
http://www.hearbudz.com/#!hearbudz-home-page/mainPage

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #26 of 30
i almost got run over by a guy on a bike while using my jvc marshmallows and taking a brisk walk. there has got to be a safer way of doing this. I'd love to have the same open feature as that of the ksc75 or the portapro, without having to deal with the mess that comes with the earpads after a brisk walk or a run. with no shipping here to the philippines for their spare earpads, i'm definitely not using them for sweaty activity.

i've tried the pl-30's (they slip out when i start to sweat), the meelec m6 (also slips out when sweated on - even when using the bi-flange), and the marshmallows (stay in but block out all ambient noise - hence a risk to anybody treading outdoors).

there has to be a way..

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #27 of 30
If your running around a track or treadmill I take the m6, if your outside running/hiking/etc I probably take the ksc75 and depending on the activity take them off and clip them on me and pump up the volume a bit so I can still hear everything while paying full attention to my surrounding.

Nothing is more dangerous to a runner than a driver who is not paying attention, except a driver AND and runner who both aren't paying attention.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #28 of 30
i use my ex800st while jogging. vented, doesn't fall off, lightweight, and play it with below my listening volume and im set jogging at the streets.

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #29 of 30
I'm currently using the MEElectronics S6 for jogging/running. Great secure fit, and the short initial cable (they come with a longer extension) is perfect for connecting it to a DAP in the armband case they come with. Nice fun bass-driven sound, similar to the M6 though the treble is smoother which is a good thing.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #30 of 30
Do not use the ADDIEM for anything where you may sweat. I've busted 2-3 of them due to that. The controller just dies if sweat gets into it. I wish it werent the case, as they are fairly comfortable for running.

How about the Monster iSport? I've really been considering these as they're sweat resistant and can withstand getting wet and a washing machine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back