Best phones for running
May 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

hyamaiata

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I would like to know if there's some kind of consensus on what are the best headphones to use while running or jogging in terms of comfort, price and sq. I would be using this phones out of an iPod nano without an amp.

Thanks.

May 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 30
I'm not a runner but I still have an opinion!

The Nuforce 8-M have struck me as a good earphone for running. I use them on the stationary bike at home and at the Y.

One, they have a dedicated around the back of the ear wire. This allows you to adjust the fit and make them as tight as you need to.

Two, the isolation is between an earbud and full deep insertion IEM. I imagine that a runner will need to have some awareness of the sounds around him. I've tried them with both comply and silicone tips and find the isolation is about the same. They don't isolate as well as say the q-jays, but they are better than earbuds, such as the Yuin Pk's.

Three, the sound quality is OK, especially for the price. They reminded me of my Ety4s. If you sweat through them in a season, you can replace without too much wallet break.

Four, while I always amped them, I suspect they sound fine unamped.

May 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 30
Lately, I've been using the ADDIEM (apple in ears) for gym/running headphones and they have been working great. Cheap ($35 to $40 on ebay), comfortable, and relatively decent sounding considering the price.

I use foamies under the tips to increase the isolation, but you probably don't want very much isolation if you're jogging outdoors. The cable is fairly microphonic, but a clip along with wearing them over the ears helps combat this issue. I also haven't had them inadvertently fall out on me, and I've been using them for about 2.5 weeks.

May 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 30
SHS8000
smile.gif

May 13, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 30
westone um3x. at least for me, it stays secure, cant feel like it's there since it's so light. pretty comfortable by all means and the sound quality is superb!

May 13, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 30
lol. true...damaging the UM3X would be a kick to the....wallet! RE2? 40 bucks (+10 for a decent amp), good sound stage, sufficient isolation, nice details, etc. a pretty decent pair of earphones imho.

May 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 30
I use my KSC50s while running and they stay secure enough that I don''t worry about them falling off. They sound good, too.

May 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 30
I'd second the ksc75's but... I tend to sweat alot and sweaty pads = no.... so I stopped after the first time I did it. I'd recommend the UM1. It's not the top of the top... in terms of audio quality, but its probably got the best comfort/price that you'll find. And of course you can move up the line on the Westone series or Se530's. The difference between these iems and the others are that you can "tuck" the UM1/2/3x and W3 and se530's into your ears, making them VERY comfortable. Add a pair of comply tips and its like... what the hell, where's that sound coming from. In terms of sound/price/comfort Id recommend the UM1 since you can probably get a pair for under 100.

May 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurosuto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
westone um3x. at least for me, it stays secure, cant feel like it's there since it's so light. pretty comfortable by all means and the sound quality is superb!

That is one expensive workout choice!!! I would veture to say that if you were to go with something that will put a decent dent in your wallet, it should have either replaceable cables or you may want to know your way around with a soldering iron, because for me, even the best strain relief hasn't prevented cable issues.

May 14, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurosuto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol. true...damaging the UM3X would be a kick to the....wallet! RE2? 40 bucks (+10 for a decent amp), good sound stage, sufficient isolation, nice details, etc. a pretty decent pair of earphones imho.

I love them. But they're very microphonic, which may not be ideal for a runner.

May 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 30
When I'm running, after a certain point of exhaustion I don't pick out the details of my music so much.

I would recommend the Sony EX-85LP, this is assuming you won't be using it with an armband, because I think it's harder to buy a legit Short Cord model due to the fact most stores carry the LP, and whatever SP models exist on Ebay may be fakes.

Sound quality is reasonable, rather warm presentation imho. These are not full isolation earphones, so you'll get some noise reduction but still be able to hear what's going on around you. When I had them, they blocked out enough noise, but I could hear my surroundings.

They were comfortable enough for me, and didn't pop out of my ears while running. Durability is so so, but you can get it for under $25 at Amazon Marketplace. So these can be a cheaper pair of cans you can use just for running, overall SQ is acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back