Best Phones for Meizu?
Jul 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ra5cal

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of phones to pair with my Meizu M6 SL. Considering the Grado SR60 (or equivalent but don't know what else is out there). I'm curious to find out if the Grad can be driven by the M6 or do I need a 'phone amp?

thanks

Russ

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 10
Grado SR60 should be fine. I've only tried the Alessandro MS1 with the Meizu and it was a good match I thought. You probably won't need an amp with Grados and the Meizu.

I really, really like my Etymotic ER4S with the Meizu player. I find that the Meizu player is a little warm, bassy so brighter sounding cans I think, are a good match. Others with more experience can chip in here. My Ultrasone HFI 700 sound a little bass heavy with the Meizu. EQ the player I'm sure could change things, but I'm not really an EQ type of guy in general.

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Works just great! The M6 is a pretty powered mp3 player, and can handle the SR60 very well.

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 10
kojebee; Bonthouse, thanks for your replies.

Kojobee, I think you are right re the bassy sound of the Meizu; I've been trying to clear that up with the EQ but to no avail, and thought a decent set of phones would help.

I'll look into the models you suggested.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Having listened more to the M6 it seems to me that the earphones I am using - AKG K312Ps - lean more towards providing support for rock than house tunes. The latter distort when it comes to bass but it must be said that Geddy Lee's bass guitar (a Rickenbacker) sounds a bit dull.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 10
My Meizu sounded horrible with my friend's MS1. The bass was starting to sound as bloated as my koss ksc75. The mids were very recessed and the highs weren't ... sparkling as I had expected. My friend also confirmed that they sounded very different from his Creative Zen.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 10
I was disappoint in the difference between my portapro and sr 60 on my meizu. The sr 60 sounded worlds apart from the portapro on my d33 discman, but the bass sounding bloated might be because of the default bass boost setting but the bass on the meizu is bloated compared most of my discmans. I was probably expecting too much from an mp3 player when coming from vintage discmans, I should probably get an amp. Grado were definately better than the portapro on a meizu much fuller mids, but kinda dissappointed on the tightness of the bass when compared to the stronger outputs of vintage pcdp.

You may want to try the portable audio section and find a iem recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back