Best performance of Sibelius violin concerto?
Nov 3, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #31 of 38
I 'm in love with the recording of Pekka Kuusisto on Ondine with Segerstam and the one of Leonidas Kavakos on BIS with Vanska.
There so incredible, so good. I only find the recording on Ondine a little bith better. I really don't know wat performens a prefer. They are both so nice to here although they there are a lot of differences between them.
Both won the Sibelius Competition. Kavakos in 1985 and Kuusisto (The First Finnish winner) in 1995.
Other good recordings that I Know are those of Tetzlaff on Virgin and Miriam Fried on Finlandia.
I also got the boring Repin recording on Erato.

Jesse

Nov 3, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #32 of 38
Heifetz is one of those performers, that you either love or hate. There doesn't seem to be be much middle ground with him. I'm not a fan, I've never cared for his tone, or his astringent style of performance. Love him or hate him, he is a legend as a classical performer, I'd just prefer to listen to someone else.

The Sibelius Concerto is one of the most recorded violin concertos in the classical repertoire and there are no shortage of outstanding versions. My personal favorite is the Cho-lin Liang version, but as you have read above, this is not everyones favorite.

- augustwest

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #33 of 38
Pekka Kuusisto's version on ONDINE is one of those suberb recordings of this concerto for. It is almost unbearably ardent. The Helsinki Philharmonics with Leif Segerstam is nearly overwhelmingly valiant. It absolutely ranks among the greatest performances and recordings so far. It is a no nonsense and cool version that lets the music speak for itself and enyoable to listen
Bis recording with Kavakos and the Lahti orchestra sounds also great and offers also the original version.

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #34 of 38
There are two Heifetz versions: with Beecham, LPO and with Walter Hendl, CSO. The Beecham was also the first time it was ever recorded. The former is more lyrical; the latter more energetic. I prefer the later considerably. (Note: I'm not recommending every Heifetz record -- only a lot of them.)

A second, weaker but still adequate choice is Perlman with Previn, Pittsburgh.

For fun, you might enjoy watching a 15-year-old Hilary Hahn with Lorin Maazel, BRSO
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX-240cNDIk). What a doll!

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #35 of 38
  There are two Heifetz versions: with Beecham, LPO and with Walter Hendl, CSO. The Beecham was also the first time it was ever recorded. The former is more lyrical; the latter more energetic. I prefer the later considerably. (Note: I'm not recommending every Heifetz record -- only a lot of them.)

A second, weaker but still adequate choice is Perlman with Previn, Pittsburgh.

For fun, you might enjoy watching a 15-year-old Hilary Hahn with Lorin Maazel, BRSO
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX-240cNDIk). What a doll!

I have the same opinion about Heifetz, the version with Hendl is the best.

About Perlman, I recommend the version with Leinsdorf and Boston :

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #36 of 38
  I have the same opinion about Heifetz, the version with Hendl is the best.

About Perlman, I recommend the version with Leinsdorf and Boston

I didn't know that Perlman had made another Sibelius record. I'll certainly give it a listen. Thank you.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #37 of 38
Thanks for the information on the Shaham recording which I have rather belatedly noted.  The performance and especially the concertante balance with the orchestra is to be admired.  Any votes for Mullova, by the way?

Aug 13, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #38 of 38
Reviving this extremely old thread with one more modern recording (for those who love better audio quality) of this very great violin concerto.
The Christian Tetzlaff with Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin led by Robin Ticciati. Life performance, so, you will hear some mistakes but the sound is exciting and the audio quality is outstanding, especially if you were to purchase the high resolution copy from HDTracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back