Best PCDP with anti skip
Jun 7, 2003 at 1:32 PM Post #16 of 33
do you have picture of D-626? what is so good about it? and why D-151? it is a low end model.

after the smooth fiberglass of D777, I now long to touch the cold steel of D-J50. D-515 has some sort of plastic coated steel? I dont know, it has the D777 shiny grey but with more substance.
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #17 of 33
Hi

The 626 is the same shape / body style as the D515 iirc, but has a wireless headphone socket / remote control... that means its potentially even higher end than the 515
very_evil_smiley.gif

The only reason for including the 151 (same as the 141) is because there are plenty of them floating around on ebay, so it helps if people have an idea of how they sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Jun 7, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 33
Hi,

With Anti-Skip, I would have to go with D-515 and D-E905. I put D-515 at top along with D-303, and D-311. Finding all these can be a true challege.

Purk

Jun 7, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Hi..

...Its all (imo) in a bid to cut the losses on MD as a format which has never really (if we're being truthful) gotten off of the ground...

say that to someone in japan, go to either Minidisc T-Station
or Audiocubes

they're both run by KohnMan, and he provides swell service...anyway, MD is a great format (especially the MZ-S1, which I have, it takes massive abuse)

Jun 7, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #20 of 33
Since I obtained my d-515 I have never thought about upgrading my portable setup. This is as good as it gets for portable cd players.

Biggie.

Jun 7, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
say that to someone in japan, go to either Minidisc T-Station
or Audiocubes

they're both run by KohnMan, and he provides swell service...anyway, MD is a great format (especially the MZ-S1, which I have, it takes massive abuse)

Hi... A generalisation on my part admittedly, but MD has never taken off in the same way that CD did... its still only scratched the surface on the American market...

That is why they're making MDs sound better than PCDPs these days... to boost popularity because of better fidelity (all imo of course
wink.gif
)

Jun 7, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #22 of 33
I always thought Sony really dropped the ball with the Minidisc.

It was avaialbe for years and years before MP3 became an option and Sony had plenty of opportunity to make this a real alternative to cassette tape for the masses. They never could get the prices reasonable enough, though, and it never became a legitimate option to the masses.

For years I wanted one of these players but always thought the stuff was WAY overpriced until the last few years and by that point it was too little too late for it to make a real impact on the market since MP3s are much more convenient and much less of an investment if you already have a computer.

Sony's marketing was completely substandard too. You never saw this stuff marketed to the public explaining what exactly MD was and how it could benefit them. I remember having to really research to find real info on the product and that's a real shame.

It's just another instance in a long list how the electronics companies continually bungle their technologies in an attempt to maximize profits. Sony should have taken a loss or just broke even on the product to get market penetration and then make a profit as more models were mass produced and the costs come down.

The whole MP3 thing came about DESPITE the electronics companies. They're just benefitting from it after the fact.

And still... it takes a computer company, Apple, to come up with probably the best pure music player from a design, implementation and marketing standpoint.

Glenn

Jun 7, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 33
The thing is, MD was/is expensive. MP3 players are also expensive but mp3's are free for the masses. So they have all this music and no portable player.
For CD's there were already PCDP's. And even those were too expensive for a lot of people because a cheap cassette player and a some cheap cassette's did do the job aswell.

In order to play your Napster/Kazaa mp3's portably you need a special player for it. (or the inconvenient option of converting them to .wav and burn them, but then you'll need a burner...)
In order to play your CD's you can use either cheap cassette players or spend a bit more on a PCDP.
MD is the third options. Only for people with losts of money who like gadgets or people who care about soundquality and smaller size than PCDP's

(IMHO)

Jun 7, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #25 of 33
I definetely don't have a lot of money, I wanted a unit that would work and not die if dropped, the MZ-S1 is my unit, and it is a "war" unit if you know what I mean, and I Audiocubes had a sale a while ago with 10 neige discs for 10 dollars, that's $1 PER DISC!, and you say it's expensive!, ha, and forget about MDLP??, I think MD is far superior to MP3(s), but until recently, I never really needed one (my 915...)

Jun 8, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #27 of 33
this thread has built a turn-around so i just wanna get it back on track.

Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
but with the ESP on the 515... it does, to me deserve higher praise than that of the 311!
eek.gif

is that 3-sec esp compressed? how does it compare with your e905's/d777's 10-sec esp (soundwise)?

can't wait for the 515 line-out impression against your 311's high scored line-out.

Jun 8, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
BTW.
Anyone remember DCC?
What happened to that!?

Gone the way of the dodo - almost faster than the consumers could notice its existance...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back