Best PC soundcard for music?
Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #31 of 47

Quote:
Got the card (Essence ST) today and it seems like a HUGE upgrade from Auzen Xplosion+Fiio E9... Absolutely clear and balanced sound and great options with 24/192 playback. :)
As I expected, harware ASIO is not very useful (it tends to clip and raise the overall volume that much that I am not able to set my Jriver player to the 100% volume even I set the card's volume to the minimum... seems like a driver issue) but that's not a problem for me as Jriver's WASAPI Event Style works great...
Seriously, this card offers crystal clear and neutral sound and the headamp works pretty well even with Denon D7000! Absolutely worths the money...

There is a website BrainBit that has modified Xonar drivers "Unified Xonar Drivers".

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #32 of 47

Quote:
There is a website BrainBit that has modified Xonar drivers "Unified Xonar Drivers".

Thanks very much for your tip... I've already known about these but was quite skeptical. (After your response) I applied the latest version and the result is that it didn't fix anything - the volume is still unbearably high when running the hardware ASIO (I have everything set correctly, checked a dedicated threat here yesterday) and it still clips (again only with ASIO) when upsampling (and maybe even at the "normal" state for the first few seconds). To be honest, I didn't expect the hardware ASIO to work properly, doesn't matter :)) I like WASAPI more, Event Style in Jriver is great...

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #33 of 47
The essence leaves that impression first but after some time it reveals harsh and fatiguing just as every opamp based soundcard,
well after some time you can try an external DAC
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #34 of 47

Quote:
The essence leaves that impression first but after some time it reveals harsh and fatiguing just as every opamp based soundcard,
well after some time you can try an external DAC
tongue.gif

It's possible, you are almost surely more experienced... But right now, I feel REALLY comfortable with the card - it offers really clear and neutral sound that flows naturally into my ears with D7000 on. Much more comfortable and balanced sound than before (nothing is stressed, just natural feeling). :)

Edit: Changed Latency value and now it looks like it works... However, the volume is still too high =/

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #35 of 47
I've been on my AV710 for a loooong time...so I cannot comment on the card you are referencing.  However, I will point that cans that demand high levels of power tend to cause your pc to get more feedback in your line.  That was my experience...I did have an external DAC (Entech 203.2) and that was simple enough to do the job for a very long time.  

Now days I'd be tempted to go USB DAC and sell the soundcard all together.  The choice is up to you, but I thought I'd share so you don't get too comfortable.  

side note: D7000 look sweet, congrats.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #36 of 47

Quote:
I've been on my AV710 for a loooong time...so I cannot comment on the card you are referencing.  However, I will point that cans that demand high levels of power tend to cause your pc to get more feedback in your line.  That was my experience...I did have an external DAC (Entech 203.2) and that was simple enough to do the job for a very long time.  

Now days I'd be tempted to go USB DAC and sell the soundcard all together.  The choice is up to you, but I thought I'd share so you don't get too comfortable.  

side note: D7000 look sweet, congrats.

Well, I think my problem is that D7000 has low impedance (25 ohm) so the volume level is just so big even at Normal settings (for low impedance headphones)... I will figure it out through VST plugins somehow because I just realised that the quality of playback is best with the hardware ASIO.

Anyway, D7000 are extremely comfortable and when you apply right EQ (thanks to lunatique) and suitable crossfeed (like IsonePro or newer TB Isone), the sound is really awesome (working with the sound of these headphones is really important, you can modify them A LOT to suit you best) :)

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #37 of 47

Quote:
Thanks very much for your tip... I've already known about these but was quite skeptical. (After your response) I applied the latest version and the result is that it didn't fix anything - the volume is still unbearably high when running the hardware ASIO (I have everything set correctly, checked a dedicated threat here yesterday) and it still clips (again only with ASIO) when upsampling (and maybe even at the "normal" state for the first few seconds). To be honest, I didn't expect the hardware ASIO to work properly, doesn't matter :)) I like WASAPI more, Event Style in Jriver is great...

Right after posting about the Unified Xonar Drivers, I went to the site to download the latest version (1.51), my Norton anti-virus detected the WS.Reputation.1 virus and deleted the file.
Also there is a thread on Head-Fi dedicated to the Xonar Essence, "The Essence STX Q/A tweaking and impressions thread", they might have some ideas on your STX problem(s).

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:
Right after posting about the Unified Xonar Drivers, I went to the site to download the latest version (1.51), my Norton anti-virus detected the WS.Reputation.1 virus and deleted the file.
Also there is a thread on Head-Fi dedicated to the Xonar Essence, "The Essence STX Q/A tweaking and impressions thread", they might have some ideas on your STX problem(s).

Thanks for info, will test my PC... But maybe Norton is just too sensitive for some DIY/crack stuff. About the volume issue, it's a good idea :)

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #39 of 47

Quote:
Thanks for info, will test my PC... But maybe Norton is just too sensitive for some DIY/crack stuff. About the volume issue, it's a good idea :)

I think my Norton might have been wrong and it may have done it before with the 3rd party drivers.
I posted the problem at the site, hopefully someone has answers.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #40 of 47

Quote:
I think my Norton might have been wrong and it may have done it before with the 3rd party drivers.
I posted the problem at the site, hopefully someone has answers.

The scan didn't show anything... I hope there are no viruses on my PC then :) From what I know, Norton always was VERY sensitive about anything that is not official, if you know what I mean :)

About the card, I probably worked out the best solution: Using the Essence ST card as a DAC (I upsample my music for playback in Jriver to 192 kHz and have some 24bit files so veeeery useful) and as a hardware ASIO streamer........... and then using Fiio E9 as a headamp.

I get the benefit of precise hardware ASIO stream (more detailed than WASAPI, at least with my setup) + more natural amplification from E9 (sonci was right, even the E9 is almost the same as the integrated amp of Essence ST, the E9 works better in a question of a natural coloration + I don't have to worry about too high volume levels I mentioned before). The sound is great, really :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #42 of 47
I happen to have two PC sound systems one at home with the Asua Xonar Essense STX and another system at my cottage and that system has the HT Omega Claro Plus as a music lover I listen to 24/96 6ch flac and my choice of the better card for music is the Claro plus but if you have the patients the Asus has change up op amps and you could make that the better card but straight out of the box the Omega is the better card for music

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #43 of 47
I happen to have two PC sound systems one at home with the Asua Xonar Essense STX and another system at my cottage and that system has the HT Omega Claro Plus as a music lover I listen to 24/96 6ch flac and my choice of the better card for music is the Claro plus but if you have the patients the Asus has change up op amps and you could make that the better card but straight out of the box the Omega is the better card for music

you do realize this is a 1 year old thread right? 

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #44 of 47
It really don't matter how old these thread are people will read them looking for information and guidance when it comes to selecting a soundcard and I know these cards reall well ...so which card did you end up buying..

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #45 of 47
It really don't matter how old these thread are people will read them looking for information and guidance when it comes to selecting a soundcard and I know these cards reall well ...so which card did you end up buying..

i thought it was a common rule on forums to not resurrect super old thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back