Best pc sound card for headphones recommended with amp
Dec 6, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 25
Yes, I'm now between Chaintech and 0404 USB (that version has).
Although 0404 USB costs like $150 and Chaintech $25, so I'll try Chaintech, and as alleyezon_d said, if I'm not satisfied I can use it for bit-perfect transport.
I'm also very excited, I'm getting Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Headphones from shut85!
This leads me to Chaintech again because this headphones need less power.
My first good cans!

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #18 of 25
that will give you pretty good sound. you can get the total bithead or beresford as an upgrade next.

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #19 of 25
Congrats on the A900. I own a pair as well and I love them for gaming (since I use my stereo setup mainly for music). This is a very wise way to enter the hobby as they are both great products in terms of value!

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #20 of 25
Thanks, I'll post my experience when I get back form my trip.
Greetings

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #21 of 25
Help! I need somebody, help! not just anybody...
Chaintech AV-710 is out of stock everywhere... and I already spent a lot of money in other things, like headphones, iem earphones, sansa player...
So I need a cheap card with good dac and opamp, please, any recommendation?
The other way for me is to buy a x-fi and the dac & opamps, and mod it when I return.
(I can't find any good dac or opamp in my country)

Already looked for used chaintech at forums, none available found. (My trip is from 8, tomorrow, to 14)
But I can't find it's sepcs about dac or opamps in most of them...

Buy.com - Sound Cards
Amazon.com: Sound Cards: Internal, External, Computer Sound Cards & More
Newegg.com - Sound Cards, Sound Blaster Cards, Creative Sound Cards, Computer Sound Cards, Audigy Sound Cards, M Audio Sound Cards

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #22 of 25
I say stick with the realtek, its not bad at all. Save up until you can afford something you know is decent/worthwhile. Rash decisions lead to regrets.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 25
$35+$15 ship at ebay for a card worth $24, that I should upgrade opamps also... I mean, it isn't expensive but it's like plan B.

And yeah, I'm not getting crazy about it, I can buy something next time, but if you guys know some good cheap card please let me know.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by alleyezon_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Chaintech is not praised for its quality as a soundcard I don't think, but rather as a cheap bit-perfect transport to an external DAC. If I were you I'd keep with the realtek, get an external dac instead of a soundcard and use the SPDIF out from your motherboard to connect them. I'm not 100% sure, but the ALC888 SPDIF out might be bit-perfect as I know my ALC889A is. Some external Dac's also have built in headphone amps and although they are not as good as dedicated amps, they provide a great way to start your journey.

I beg to differ, the Wolfson DAC WM8728 24/192 2-channel mode is a very high quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back