Best PC Monitor?
Oct 20, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best computer monitor hands down.

Unfortunately, I can't stand the high pitched CRT whine. Not to mention the humongousness.

But, yeah. I've been tempted.

-Ed

Yes - I have had two CRTs in the past few weeks - they both have the high pitched squeal. I am a firm believer in CRTs, but I am now frustrated enough to move to an LCD.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #48 of 63
CRT guys, you need to have a serious (and unbiased) look at some of the latest offerings from respected LCD manufacturers. Sony has always had a fantastic rep for their higher end CRT monitors, but it's all over now.

You can keep loving them for all I care, hell I even understand why you would, but they are lagging behind... quite a way behind.

Manufacturers like Eizo are creating monitors than can reproduce the entire Adobe colour space in the right conditions. These same monitors also offer far sharper, more stable and more consistent image quality.

Disagree all you want - then at least go have a real look at some of the newest technology for your own benifit. It's awesome...

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CRT guys, you need to have a serious (and unbiased) look at some of the latest offerings from respected LCD manufacturers. Sony has always had a fantastic rep for their higher end CRT monitors, but it's all over now.

You can keep loving them for all I care, hell I even understand why you would, but they are lagging behind... quite a way behind.

Manufacturers like Eizo are creating monitors than can reproduce the entire Adobe colour space in the right conditions. These same monitors also offer far sharper, more stable and more consistent image quality.

Disagree all you want - then at least go have a real look at some of the newest technology for your own benifit. It's awesome...

Care to mention any specifics? I have yet to see a LCD monitor that can compete with the 24in Sony. For that matter I still have yet to see a TV that can compete with my 34XBR960 tube tv. They are getting better, but are not there yet from what I have seen.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #51 of 63
old stuff may still be better, but as in audio quality...

98%+ quality and great egonomics, aesthetics, practicality > 100% quality and stone age practicality

in my opinion of course!

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care to mention any specifics? I have yet to see a LCD monitor that can compete with the 24in Sony. For that matter I still have yet to see a TV that can compete with my 34XBR960 tube tv. They are getting better, but are not there yet from what I have seen.

I have KD-34XBR960 too and the image quality is the same as my 40" 1080p BRAVIA. For a CRT TV that's about a fraction of the price of LCD and almost beating the mid-end LCD by 2 folds I don't think twice about it. Hell it's big and heavy but it makes up for the quality. PS3 and Blu-Ray looks amazing on it. Anyways, the best monitor I have (believe me I tried so many), is the GDM-FW900. Its wide 16:10 screen makes my work so easy. Running at 1920x1200 120Hz. The colors of it is exactly 100% accurate than real life colors (I tested it). Also nothing beats the grayscale of this CRT. I don't care if CRT's are dead or not this is the best monitor I have ever had and will happily pay more than $1,000 for it.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Care to mention any specifics? I have yet to see a LCD monitor that can compete with the 24in Sony.

Have a look at Eizo as a good start.

http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp

Only area I can think of where they may be behind is refresh.

Quote:

For that matter I still have yet to see a TV that can compete with my 34XBR960 tube tv. They are getting better, but are not there yet from what I have seen.

Not exactly a PC monitor, but again, I think you can find an equal. Larger sized LCDs made for HT and the like suffer in black contrast areas, but the newest models have made huge improvements in this area.

At the end of the day if you prefer CRTs that's fine - nothing wrong with them, many look great. The OP asked about the 'best' PC monitor, which is subjective and dependant on the particular application(s), but I think in general a higer quality LCD will perform better than a CRT in many cases. Trying to find a new, good quality CRT now days only adds to the problem. CRT image quality never faired well against age.

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

we arent even specifically talking about solely having a CRT and never owning a TFT, at least i am not, i have owned most of the best TFT screens out there, heck i still have 4 x DELL 2000FP monsters and numerous other LCD screens.

it doesnt have to be or, with me its and

but i choose to use the CRT for its prowess in the graphics/colours and gaming arena.

a bit like how some like to go back to vinyl for the warm tingly feeling!
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but i choose to use the CRT for its prowess in the graphics/colours and gaming arena.

Graphics and colours are the main ares where CRT is inferior. LCDs can be higher resolution, are sharper and can also have a much wider colour gamut.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #60 of 63
if i had room, i would have a big CRT, but i like to be miniamlistic, and LCD's look much better. I game a bit, soon i will be getting CS:S and the rest. Currently i play BF1942 and MOH AA.

My dad a former computer engineer for IBM, said that iiyama make very good monitors, and go for quaility over size.

I saw a cheap-o 22" go on ebay for £130, but ebuyer has a 20" iiyama for £130 (5ms). My dad said that the iiyama should last forever, and he would have got an iiyama if he could have ever afforded one, it surprisingly is the cheapes 20" that ebuyer are doing at the moment! It shouldnt let me down!

Hopefully my mum will get it for me for Christmas!

-= Matt =-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back