Best path to cheap, tiny, good notebook audio
May 21, 2012 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
I've done several DIY projects but they were more full-sized amps and DACs. Now I'm finally getting a notebook computer and will be looking for more portable solutions. It's been awhile since I've been here, and I've poked around some but I thought I'd just ask: what are some popular DIY solutions for portable DACs and amps (combined in one would be great)?

I would primarily be listening to RE-Zeros in a portable setup, though I plan to get some higher-end earphones in the future. I might occasionally be plugging in my full-sized headphones (K701 or HD598) but the primary consideration is for portable earphones. I'm not looking for super high-end sound from my notebook, just something appreciably better than the built-in sound. Thanks for any help here.

May 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 10
First thing is to assess the sound and volume levels you get from the computer. You might find they're OK as it stands. Built-in sound is generally improving.

The RE-Zeros might complicate things, I think they have a TRRS connector instead of a TRS, I'm not familiar with the TRRS as regards how the connections are assigned.

w

May 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 10
I'll look into those suggestions, thanks.

Quote:
The RE-Zeros might complicate things, I think they have a TRRS connector instead of a TRS, I'm not familiar with the TRRS as regards how the connections are assigned.

I did actually replace that plug with a standard TRS, so it shouldn't be an issue.

May 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

they are available intermittelntly in group buys, and they pop up in the for sale section every once in a while. i have a few if you want one.

Quote:

they are available intermittelntly in group buys, and they pop up in the for sale section every once in a while. i have a few if you want one.

you got pm

May 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 10
I recently bought a Behringer UCA202 USB DAC, it's really great value for money, and in a small form factor. I'm using it with my Sony ZX700 headphones and connected to my speaker amp to my B&W DM601, and I've been really impressed. It should easily power headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back