Best Passive Noise Isolation Over Ear Headphones?
Mar 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

peck1234

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all.    Right now it looks like the HD 280's have the win.   Anything out there that's better before I pull the trigger? 

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Don't forget about the Sennheiser HD 380 pro. It is actually an improvement over the HD 280, not only in sound(sounding more balanced), but offering even more isolation. They say it offers 36 decibels of broadband isolation, which is about as much as earmuffs isolate.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 9
I've tried the HD380s, and they definately do not isolate anywhere NEAR as well as the 280s. There is someone in my electronic music class which uses them and sits right next to me; I can hear the sound coming from his headphones, albiet muffled, fairly easily.They also seemed to do very little when I wore them.

Quote:
Don't forget about the Sennheiser HD 380 pro. It is actually an improvement over the HD 280, not only in sound(sounding more balanced), but offering even more isolation. They say it offers 36 decibels of broadband isolation, which is about as much as earmuffs isolate.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I've tried the HD380s, and they definately do not isolate anywhere NEAR as well as the 280s. There is someone in my electronic music class which uses them and sits right next to me; I can hear the sound coming from his headphones, albiet muffled, fairly easily.They also seemed to do very little when I wore them.

Aw, bogus. I guess that is why they say you should listen to a set of cans before recommending them. Sennheiser even advertised the HD 380 to have improved isolation over the HD 280. Seems that they were possibly wrong?

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
The Fischer Audio FA-003 (or Brainwavz HM5 clone) have the best passive isolation I've experienced.

Very best,

Have you tried the 280s as well?  

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 9
I dont have experience with low tier Sennhs. But i can vouch for the HFI-680/780

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 9
If you read carefully, you would've noticed that I HAVE listened to them. I listened to them in the classroom, borrowed from the guy that owned them. I also listened to them at Guitar Center.

Quote:
Aw, bogus. I guess that is why they say you should listen to a set of cans before recommending them. Sennheiser even advertised the HD 380 to have improved isolation over the HD 280. Seems that they were possibly wrong?

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 9

I think he was meaning he shouldn'tve suggested them, not having heard them himself...

Anyways, dig around in here - find the one with the best isolation measurements:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Of what I've personally heard, the Beyerdynamic T70 does extremely well. 

There's also those "extreme isolation headphones" on Amazon that look like Leight L3s converted to headphones (Leight L3s have an NPR of 30, which is the highest NPR you can get) - http://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firth-Stereo-Isolation-Headphones/dp/B0002F519I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331369807&sr=8-2

IEMs would probably also be a realistic choice; look at Etymotic, UE, etc. 
Quote:
If you read carefully, you would've noticed that I HAVE listened to them. I listened to them in the classroom, borrowed from the guy that owned them. I also listened to them at Guitar Center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back