Best Pair of iPod Cans
Oct 22, 2007 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

siober

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent set of cans for under $200 that are reasonable for use with MP3's from an iPod (so nothing too exorbitant). I listen mainly to rock and occasionally classical and jazz. Any recommendations will help (I've already been looking tentatively at the Sony MDR-7506).

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 10
Funny thing. I went to audition the Equation Audio RP15MC on Friday, and ended liking the Sony MDR-7506 more. It was on sale at the same store, there was a problem with the RP15MC cable connection so maybe it wasn't a good comparison. For $99, the MDR-7506 sounded pretty good unamped out of the iPod, and was more comfortable than the RP15MC.

I thought they sounded a little bright with an EQ that looked like \/ - bass and treble were boosted, but that's new out of the box.

Couple of thoughts:

If you like the MDR-7506, did you consider the MDR-V6? It's $20 cheaper and pretty similar in design:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-7506

Also, check out www.headphone.com , one of Head-Fi's sponsors. You can list the different headphones by price, and summary of each phone's pros and cons is provided.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 10
Several weeks ago I had the exact same question as you, and since the vast majority of my music is rock, after alot of searches here, I ended up with the Grado 225's. I like them alot and I can't wait to receive Rockhopper's amp next week to add to the experience.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 10
x2 at MDR-7506/V6. Although I like MDR-7509HD but that's twice the money.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 10
Wondering the same thing!

Grados look very temping, but isn't their 'openness' kind of a drawback for an ipod? I mean, i mostly use my ipod on the bus and around school / outside, so the lack of isolation i've heard from Grados seems to be a drawback.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 10
I would honestly just go with the Sony MDR-V6. It has a great combination of price, durability, and sound quality.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 10
I've heard that the Audio Technica ATH-A900's are really great without an amp, and are sensitive enough to be driven by the iPod. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Oct 25, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by siober /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that the Audio Technica ATH-A900's are really great without an amp, and are sensitive enough to be driven by the iPod. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I just picked up a pair of these last week for my girlfriend. Although they sound great coming out of her iPod nano, they are too big to really be considered portable cans. Once you get to your location, you wouldn't know where to put them. They are too bulky to hang around your neck, and too fragile looking to stuff in your backpack. I would not recommend these as portable cans.

Just go with the MDR-V6!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back