Best pair of headphones for college dorm? [$150 range]
Dec 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

l720

New Head-Fier
Currently I own a bose IE2 and an old hd555 that I have sitting around and rarely use. The bose ie2 is my daily driver and I use it for my phone, computer, music, etc. I have enjoyed using the hd 555 but my main complaints about them have been: 1) the wire is about 1-2 feet long and is excessive 2) I need a 3.5m audio adapter to plug into ipod/computer which makes it even more bulky

I want to find a pair of headphones that are:

1. Good for listening to house music, rock, and acoustic guitar
  2. 3.5m (regular ipod size), or if it does need an adapter, not be too bulky
  3. Preferably not too long of a wire so I can occasionally take it to the library, bus, etc (I look ridiculous walking with this outside. I could probably do jump ropes with this cable)
  4. Being somewhat stylish wouldn't hurt either 
    etysmile.gif
  5. <$150 (I do not want it to get stolen) but feel free to suggest anything if you think its justified for my needs 
  6. Somewhat durable or atleast not fragile like glass
  7. Comfortable for long periods of time
  8. Sounds good without amp (I don't want to carry around extra baggage)
  9. Allows for some air circulation (I had the m50's before and it made my ear/hair sweat as it was so closed). 

I will mostly use it in my dorm to listen to music, in the library, etc so I want it to be comfortable for long periods of time.

Please feel free to post multiple suggestions for headphones as I value your opinion as I am a noob when it comes to this lol. 

Thanks guys!

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
If you are willing to consider IEM's, I like my Klipsch X10's. Great sound, very light. inconspicuous, and amazingly comfortable. The X10's can be had on Amazon for $89 as I write this. (Not the X10i's, which have the 3 way Apple switch which cost much more. Other than the switch, they are the same)

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-X10-Noise-Isolating-Earphone/dp/B000WAHFBK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356285809&sr=8-2&keywords=klipsch+x10

Just my 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the suggestion as I have been recommended those but I want an actual headphones rather then an IEM. I currently have the bose IEM which I am satisfied with but would like a pair of headphones. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 10
I am really enjoying the ath m50s. They are a nice set of closed headphones with decent portability and are easily driven by apple products. They are rated in the top ten headphones reviewed on this site.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I am really enjoying the ath m50s. They are a nice set of closed headphones with decent portability and are easily driven by apple products. They are rated in the top ten headphones reviewed on this site.

I have had the m50 for a few days but could not deal with the suction it had. After wearing it for 30 minutes, my ears would be sweating and I would have to open them for air. I need something comfortable for hours at a time, as stated above 
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back