Best pair of closed headphones
Dec 9, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions.

So far, out of everything that has been recommended, the two that have caught my eyes are:

DT250 (non 80ohm version, I would probably get a portable amp)
BEYER DYNAMIC DT 250 Closed Circumaural Studio Headphones in Corded Headphones at JR.com

DT770-Pro
BEYER DYNAMIC DT770-Pro Closed Circumaural Studio Headphones in Corded Headphones at JR.com

Ultrasone looks interesting. Anyone have any additional information on these? The HFI-2200s look awesome.

What do you guys think? If you had to pick between those, what would you say? I'm nervous as to what they will sound like. I don't want to have too high of expectations going into them (i.e. assuming they're going to be of the 580/650 calibre).

Your help is appreciated.

Both are somewhat source dependent, but are generally forgiving. The DT770 pro is -very- bass heavy, and may be too much for you. The DT250 is still just a tad bassy, but nothing like the 770.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #17 of 43
I use the DT770pros at work and think they are a great solution. Very good isolation

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #18 of 43
ATHW5000 - not cheap though

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 43
Here's another vote for the DT770s. Nothing I have found so far beats them as far as comfort and sound isolation (I have yet to try Ultrasones, however).

They do tend to be a bit bassy, but, when it bothers me, I just turn down the bass dial on my preamp.

I do wish that their treble was a little more extended and sweeter, though.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 43
My vote goes to HFI-780.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #23 of 43
So far these have been recommended:

beyerdynamic DT250
beyerdynamic DT770Pro
Beyerdynamic DT150
Ultrasone ?
Kenwood KH-K1000

I guess it's also good to note the type of music I listen to. I mostly listen to Metal (Symphonic, Folk, Gothic, Melodic Death, some Heavy). I also listen to Classical, Electronica, Drum n Bass, Trance, and Rock. Maybe this will help in narrowing down my options.

Here are some examples of stuff I listen to (obviously youtube sucks, but you can get an idea):

Epica - Consign to Oblivion (Symphonic Metal)
YouTube - Epica - Consign To Oblivion

After Forever - Monolith of Doubt (Symphonic Metal)
YouTube - After Forever - Monolith of Doubt

Within Temptation - Our Solemn Hour (Symphonic Metal)
YouTube - Within Temptation - Our Solemn Hour - Black Symphony Trailer

Within Temptation - Forsaken (Symphonic Metal)
YouTube - Within Temptation Forsaken

All That Remains - Two Weeks (Melodic Death Metal)
YouTube - Two Weeks - All That Remains

Killswitch Engage - The Arms of Sorrow (Metalcore)
YouTube - Killswitch Engage - The Arms of Sorrow (Video)

In Flames - The Jester Race (Melodic Death Metal)
YouTube - In Flames The Jester Race

Thanks for your help

Matt

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

beyerdynamic DT250
beyerdynamic DT770Pro
Beyerdynamic DT150
Ultrasone ?
Kenwood KH-K1000

I guess it's also good to note the type of music I listen to. I mostly listen to Metal (Symphonic, Folk, Gothic, Melodic Death, some Heavy). I also listen to Classical, Electronica, Drum n Bass, Trance, and Rock. Maybe this will help in narrowing down my options.

Thanks for your help

Matt

Also mentioned is the DT770 2005 consumer edition, which is a much better and more versatile headphone than the DT770 Pro.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #25 of 43
Sony CD3000, if you can find someone to part with theirs

Sony CD1000, if you can find one on earth

Denon D2000 gets honorable mention, but does not compete with the top two after a recable and simple mods, IMO

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #26 of 43
You should look into the Ath-W5000 if you can find a used pair for cheap. It's a very lively and detailed headphone with textured bass and plenty of sparkle in treble. It tends to lean to the bright side but very involving.

Their sound signature can be easily modded to a darker and warmer tone with plenty of bass using the Fitz mod (extremely easy). The mod took me less than 20 mins and I'm loving it. The mod also tones down the audio technica upper midrange coloration that people like or don't like.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #27 of 43
I use a pair of sennheiser pxc450 noise reduction headphones in the office as they isolate me from all the office noise - even in passive mode, in active mode they have a push to talk which is useful if you think you are missing ou on anything .. and it has the senheiser sound which I'm not a big fan of...

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

beyerdynamic DT250
beyerdynamic DT770Pro
Beyerdynamic DT150
Ultrasone ?
Kenwood KH-K1000

Here are some examples of stuff I listen to (obviously youtube sucks, but you can get an idea):

Epica - Consign to Oblivion (Symphonic Metal)
YouTube - Epica - Consign To Oblivion

After Forever - Monolith of Doubt (Symphonic Metal)
YouTube - After Forever - Monolith of Doubt

Within Temptation - Our Solemn Hour (Symphonic Metal)
YouTube - Within Temptation - Our Solemn Hour - Black Symphony Trailer

Within Temptation - Forsaken (Symphonic Metal)
YouTube - Within Temptation Forsaken

All That Remains - Two Weeks (Melodic Death Metal)
YouTube - Two Weeks - All That Remains

Killswitch Engage - The Arms of Sorrow (Metalcore)
YouTube - Killswitch Engage - The Arms of Sorrow (Video)

In Flames - The Jester Race (Melodic Death Metal)
YouTube - In Flames The Jester Race

Thanks for your help

Matt

If you ever want an open-pair of phones, get the Grado RS-1.

You'll be in the middle of a live recording of "Two Weeks"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back